Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Random Ya Knows...

How many times do I think ‘I can just jump out of bed and grab that book/sweater/sock which is just two or three steps away’ only to remember that it only takes one misplaced step to fall and smash the old melon. Yes, I’m getting stronger, my balance is improving and I’m gaining more movement in every part of my leg  (even my toesies) BUT I’m still a wicked fall risk. When I told my beloved surgeon, Doc Barker, that I’ve taken three tumbles since surgery, he looked horrified. FYI, that’s NOT a look you want to see on your tiptop cutter’s face.

What’s High Tea like now that I can’t easily make it over to Jen and Oni’s place. Oni’s actually finishing up work on their kitchen floor (after the disastrous work done by an incompletely vetted “jobber”). So, it’s just me and Jen camped out in my boudoir. We’re rewatching TrueBlood which I’m both loving and hating.

It’s full of stereotypes like the stupid, violent, racist Southern hicks, the Northern hippie types out to take advantage of said dumb hicks and the overly made up hypocritical, uptight, ridiculously dressed church ladies. The only folks who come out looking halfway decent either die early or are dead already (the vampires) So, a little tedious but it’s decent escapism. NOT Star Trek Discovery, Lucifer or The Mandalorian BUT it’ll hold me until new eps of those shows come out.

I’m finding myself up to my old book reading habits. That is, I’m enjoying the hell out of a sci fi/action thriller where our heroes are constantly in trouble/getting nastily damaged. I wonder ‘do they die in the next chapter?’, ‘is tragedy just around the corner?’, ‘do I get a happily ever after OR WHAT?’ Tension is high. I feel I’ve no other choice but to skip to the end. Yes, that’s cheating but I don’t find insane cliffhanging do-they-live-or-do-they-croak action fun. Not. In. Any. Way. Yes, I go back and read from where I skipped forward. The story’s NOT ruined for me. In fact, it’s made better – the good guys will triumph. I needn’t worry. Hey, this is fiction!

So, what am I reading now? Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes  . There are psychic, hypnotizing cats (capable of operating heavy equipment but NOT time travel), overly horny alien emperors, crew members who communicate their feelings via scent and more.
Captain Eva Innocente and the crew of La Sirena Negra cruise the galaxy delivering small cargo for even smaller profits. When her sister Mari is kidnapped by The Fridge, a shadowy syndicate that holds people hostage in cryostasis, Eva must undergo a series of unpleasant, dangerous missions to pay the ransom. (source)
I’m enjoying the hell outta this but you can see why I had to jump ahead, right? Does Captain Eva make it or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment