Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Bits and Pics

It’s now six months since March’s life altering surgery. I had my first, long awaited outpatient rehab appointment yesterday. It was an eval session—who am I, how much did surgery affect my pre-OR world, have I been doing the bed exercises, what are my rehab goals, etc., etc. 

My next session is Monday. We’ll get down to the biz of more, greater strength building workouts then. I’m starting to regain some optimism. It helps that I’m beginning to physically come back from all the recent falls (four, count ‘em, four of those rat bastids) and there’s been no midnight rides into the ER in a few months. YEA!

 It’s difficult to reign in my impulsive, independent nature now that I’m beginning to feel less weak. The fear of falling and how long it takes to come back from those splats, are effective motivators though.
~~~

Speaking of Fall, it’s almost on us. The  autumnal equinox is Wednesday, September 22. This feels weird. I want a do-over of the summer. I didn’t hit Nantasket even once and rolled across the street, to our own seawall, twice at best. Aside from not falling, I’d add in, at minimum, weekly wheelchair rides to our seawall and dawn rides to Nantasket. I miss the electric orange, purple early morning sky and deep cerulean water.

The temps here in Valhalla generally don’t cruise into the 80s anymore. Thank the little baby Bast! To my friends in the South and SouthWest, I just DO NOT know how you do it!
~~~
The other evening we watched Cruella with the two Emmas (Stone and Watson). It put John Gardner’s', Grendel, in mind. You know, Beowulf told from the monster’s perspective. No real give-aways here, just, it was fabulous and the spotty dogs don’t die. Def worth seeing.
~~~
I’ve begun reading Matt Ruff’s Bad Monkeys. It’s nearly impossible to put down. Odd, creepy and bizarre as all hell. I def recommend.
~~~
We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.
~ David Mamet, Boston Marriage
To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.
~ Leonard Bernstein

“Come back!" the Caterpillar called after her. "I've something important to say."
This sounded promising, certainly. Alice turned and came back again.
"Keep your temper," said the Caterpillar.
~ Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Life was easier when you stopped caring, when you stopped expecting things to get better.
~ Cora Carmack, Finding It

I am not "cured"--I know I never will be. I will always crave that pain to keep me centered. I will always be just a little astounded when I get through a crisis without putting a blade to my flesh.
~ J. Kenner, Complete Me

The storm before the calm.
~ Cameron Conaway, Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
~~~
Glass art over at Jen and Oni’s (above).

And I’m out—happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment