Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ain't It Good To Know You've Got a Friend -- Take 2

So many people poo poo Facebook, declaring that Facebook friends aren't real friends. To a large extent, that is true. But if, out of 50 of these artificial friends, one becomes an actual real friend, then it’s worth sorting through those 49 not-so-real friends,  to find the true ones.

Through Facebook, I've had a 2nd opportunity to get to know people who I've known casually at one point in my life but never got a chance to really know.  From my current co-workers, to cousins and extended family, to people I knew of in high school and beyond.  Two of my friends, who I barely knew in high school, have become instrumental in lending me the social support and encouragement I need in this life to evolve and become a better person. Both of them have actually flown out to Arizona to visit me. How cool is that?

Jenny
Both of these friends inspire me, as I watch them struggle through daunting challenges, with the tenacity and courage of a pit bull. Donna is one of these friends.  I was very shy in high school. I was not one to join activities; my horizons, in those days, were limited mostly to the people I sat by in classes. Regrettably, I went through the motions in high school and missed out on so much. I didn't get involved in activities where I would meet people with similar interests. 

I knew who Donna was.  I knew absolutely nothing about her.  And I’m sorry to say, at that point in my life, I did not have enough self confidence to go out there and find out.  Donna, on the other hand, had the courage to put herself out there and join in some of the high school activities. Unfortunately, as I found out later, she was bullied on a regular basis. A small group of girls found it quite entertaining to harass her and do very hurtful things to her. I so admire her courage for getting through that horrible time.  This courage has served her well throughout her life and inspires me to take chances in my life -- to get past my fear of failure, which has played too large of a role in my life.
Donna

I wish I had known Donna back then. I wish I had had the courage back then to get more involved and befriend people like Donna -- kindred spirits who could have helped me to become more adventurous and live life more fully. I could have helped them brave the cruelty and bullying that our fellow humans are so capable of orchestrating on those who seem different -- those who are not quite “one of us.”  Thank goodness Donna never has been and never will be “one of them!” My not real Facebook friends give me the support and courage to be myself and act accordingly in my everyday life.

Thank goodness I have, in the last 40 or so years, figured out that I really am a pretty awesome person (do you know how hard it still is for me to say that?).  Thanks to Donna, and many of my not real Facebook friends, I can say that -- AND believe it. I may not be able to gather all of these friends together into a Utopian little neighborhood, where we could be present with each other physically, as well as virtually but I can, for an hour or so a day, be with them as my schedule allows.  I am thankful that, through Facebook, I have been given a 2nd chance at Friendship. I have met many people that I may never meet in person. But I can tell you, they are real. They are like buried treasures that I have walked by a hundred times, never knowing they were there.  It took Facebook to unbury them and point me in the direction of new friendships.  These are very real friendships that help me to make it out there in the “real” world.

=====================================================================
Jenny lives in Phoenix Arizona with her husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats. And she totally ROCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment