Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Triking In Antarctica

Edgewater Beach
Perry Beach
OK, OK, I was here on The Neck but it felt like it totally could've been McMurdo Sound!

 When I ventured out on the orange rocket yesterday morning the thermometer showed a trifling, piddling even, seven degrees Fahrenheit (-14 Celsius) with the wind chill making it feel like -4 (-20 Celsius).

With the wind screaming in off the bay, my fingers and toes were frozen, rock solid, in minutes thus shortening my adventure to a picayune 50 minutes.

This morning's relatively balmy temp of 24 was 90 kinds of glorious. My brakes even unfroze by mid ride! Mind you, it's big fun to, as Jen puts it, 'brake it old school,' (i.e., drag my sneakers along the ground) but I really prefer that new fangled anchoring system.

Rock Island Salt Marsh
The Orange Rocket

No comments:

Post a Comment