Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wild Things

Yesterday we had yet another snow storm and it’s not even officially winter yet. Winter Solstice is not until Saturday.

‘the hell?!

According to meteorologist David Epstein at Boston.com’s Weather Wisdom:
Meteorological winter begins December 1st, meaning the next 90 days are the coldest of the year.
Oh. But still, the last time I recall having snow this early and heavy was the year Jen, Oni, The Amazing Bob and I moved down here to Valhalla by the Sea. Move In Day was December second, 2003.

The day began a little drizzly -- that turned into slashing sleet and then snow. Jen and I had packed up my ancient Volvo wagon with all the delicates, paintings and cats. The plan was that we’d motor down, get the cats secured, turn the heat on and all that -- the menfolk would stay behind with our racing team of movers.

That winter was all snow all the time or so it seemed. When the plows deigned to come down our street, they created towering drifts and walls of the white stuff. Our corner of the Neck resembled the snow covered hedge maze in The Shining though ours was snow through and through -- no hedge.

The Farmer’s Almanac says this:
Winter will be colder and drier than normal, although snowfall will be above normal in most of the region. The coldest periods will be in early and mid-December and in early to mid-February. The snowiest periods will be in early and mid-December, and in early and mid-February.
‘drier than normal, although snowfall will be above normal in most of the region.’ How can it be drier than normal with above normal snowfall at the same time? Sentence structure issue or Magic 8 Ball style prognosticating?

No matter, I want to be prepared. Specifically, I want our outdoor herd of cat to be OK -- particularly our Schmooze King Rocco. That’s why I bought the heated cat house. Sadly, not only is Rocco uninterested in crossing it's threshold, the heating element seems to be non functioning.
Get the damn camera out of my face!
Donna has a sad.

To prep for yesterday’s storm, I put his plush cat cave into the big cardboard box that his house came in. He loves it. The snow didn’t get in and he was less cold and wet than otherwise. Success. Yea.

He’s snuggled in there now after coming out for his brekkie of Friskies Chicken in Gravy over kibble.

I have invited him in on a number of occasions but, while he’s become Most Affectionate Beast Evah, he’s not quite up for this next level of commitment.
Wild thing, you make my heart sing
You make everything, groovy   
I think I love you
In other cat news, Coco felt the need to sleep on my tummy ALL of last night. Doormat that I am, I couldn’t bring myself to displace her by rolling onto my side. Then, around three AM, she started purring like a speeding freight train. Yeah, I didn’t hear it but, boyhowdy, her vibrations were enough to wake the dead. Me that is.

Good kittens.
Hendrix -- Wild Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment