Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Why Do When You Can Overdo?

Yesterday was the first warm day (51º !!!) in forever and a half AND it was sunny too!

Naturally I had to get down to Nantasket for a walk on that stunningly gorgeous beach. Yeah, yeah. I know. Nantasket doesn’t have the posh credentials of CranesMenemsha on Martha's Vineyard, Singing Beach in pricey,  la-di-da Manchester-by-the-Sea or Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet (LOVE this beach) BUT it’s a beautiful, long, flat, sandy place and I’m wild for it. Oh yeah and it’s just two towns away from us too.

At seven AM, camera in hand, I jumped down there for a stroll. It’s easy to get carried away -- to keep on walking the entire three mile length. Every inch, it seems, provides a new must have, can’t-be-missed scene. Of course, I then had to hike the three miles back. You might say ‘six miles, that’s not so much.’ Yes, true but YOU try doing that while carrying a ton and a half of seashells that you’ve gathered along the way!

Once home, still full of energy, sun and 51º excitement, I peeled the tarp off my poor neglected trike. I’d not been for a ride in at least a month. Would the tires be full, not flat? Full -- YES!

I donned my bright yellow helmet and set out thinking ‘oh, just a quick ride.’ Yup, sure. Two hours later, content and exhausted, I rolled up the driveway. The Amazing Bob is used to me saying ‘just a short ride. I’ll be back in half hour’ then seeing me drag my wilted, spent carcass into the house hours later. At first he worried -- ‘something’s happened! She’s been hit by a car or had an immobilizing headache!’ After the 500th episode, he got that I lose all track of time while on the trike. If I had gears and could get up steep hills, I’d probably be gone all day.

This morning I’m a little sore. A little achy and tired BUT it’s gonna be another great day so I’ll be out there again. Yeah, I’ll pay the price. My back and thighs will yell at me loud and long but, mein Gott, it’s the first warm weekend of the year!

Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment