Search This Blog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Me and My Endorphins

That's Jen!
In today’s alternate reality I’m a runner. I know that runner’s high—that point where I break through the pain, the stitch in my right side, the twinge in my left hamstring. The endorphins are way over the floodgates and I could go forever.

You know what this is about, don’t you? I haven’t been able to trike since early January. You knew that though.

On my recumbent trike, I’m not hampered by my wonky, balance nerve free brain. On my trike I can whiz down the road or slowly peddle, keeping my eye out for interesting and alluring pic possibilities. On my trike, I can be riding along Wollaston Beach within 30 minutes (it takes an hour or so to walk there). 

I’m getting fabola exercise while riding my trike. I’m giving my sinuses a good work out too. And, oh yeah, there’s those awesome endorphins which do a far better job than any antidepressant ever did.

When I see runners out and about in 10º temps with three and four feet of messy, brown crusted snow and ice blocking all the sidewalks and bike lanes, I’m 99,000 kinds of envious. They’re leaping like gazelles over those pesky drifts and tall piles of plowed frozen shit. They dash on up the road without a slip or a slide in their bright winter jogging garb.

I HATE them all! OK. No. I’m just ridiculously jealous.

Next week the thaw action really begins. The highs will be at or above 32º consistently and after that we’re into the 40s. It’ll be April before I can ride again and, boyhowdy, I’m majorly outta shape now. I need to get back into things slowly (that’ll be HARD!!! *sniff*), pace myself and do a ton of post ride stretching. Gotta be smart.

After all, I’ve got a goal or three.

No Danny Macaskill, me but there’s the Isle of Skye—the Armadale to Tarskavaig and Broadford to Sunish routes to start. Dunvegan to Uig too.Then it's on to the Outer Hebrides.

‘scuse me, I have to go suit up for today's mall walking stint now. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment