Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

I miss...

Rocco's got a few harsh words for the new Prez
I miss listening to spring rains peppered with just the odd crack of thunder. You know, while in bed, window's open. I can just barely hear the drops hitting the leaves and windowpane. So peaceful, so perfect.

I miss walking in the front door to the aroma of TAB's fresh baked cookies coming out of the oven. Oatmeal/chocolate chip with a hint of cinnamon. Heaven.

I miss words and images having real, actual meaning. Take Trump’s inauguration speech, fer instance.

He's, of course, acting/talking as though he won in a landslide. Does he really believe he did or is this just bluff bunkum? Like the rest of the Republican party is he following Goebbels, Hitler’s propaganda minister’s approach to “truth?”
If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.
Not only did he lose the popular vote by nearly 2.9 million, his electoral win was a real photo-finish.
Trump’s electoral college win, meanwhile, was a squeaker. Trump had narrow victories in three key states (and narrow losses in two others). He won Michigan by 10,704 votes, Wisconsin by 22,177 votes and Pennsylvania by 46,435 votes. So if 39,659 voters in those states had switched their votes, 46 electoral votes would have flipped to Clinton — and she would have won 278-260. (source)
Also, just FYI and shit, when a major newspaper, the Washington Post, has to fact check  an inaugural addresses (of all fucking things) you just know that we’re in for four years of Bizarro World insanity.

Sadly, a lot of people believe Darth Cheeto’s bloviating bullshit and are nearly immune to actual facts. Is there any way to reach them? Make them understand that they’re being taken for the most heinous, destructive ride of their lives? Honestly, I wanna know.

Dan Rather posted a poignant reaction on Facebook. Go to the link for the whole thing – this is just a snippet.
I have never seen my country on an inauguration day so divided, so anxious, so fearful, so uncertain of its course.

I have never seen a transition so divisive with cabinet picks so encumbered by serious questions of qualifications and ethics.
~~~~~~snip~~~~~~~~~
I have never seen such a tangled web of conflicting interests.
.~~~~~~snip~~~~~~~~~
The speech started with a message of an establishment in Washington earning riches on the back of struggling families across the country. It was an odd note, considering the background of many of his cabinet picks.
Already, all reference to civil rights, LGBT rights, health care and climate change are gone from the White House website. Just one hour after being sworn in, the FHA mortgage insurance rate cut was “indefinitely suspended.”

In a bit, Jen and I will head into Boston for the Women’s March for America. Organizers expect more than 80,000 of us. Wow. Naturally, my biggest concern is Where will I pee? Where will I get coffee? and, again Where will I pee?

We'll meet Felicity and her pal Olivia on Beacon Hill at 10:30 and cross the street over to the Common. For the speach portion of the day, there's going to be an ASL 'terp and up front seating so's we can, ya know see the 'terp. COOL! Must remember to wear warm socks, layers, a hat and bring extra batteries for my camera. If The Amazing Bob was here he'd remind me of a half dozen other things and insist that I text him every hour too. Christ, I miss him.

I made a few signs – feel free to download and print out for your own rallies and marches.

No comments:

Post a Comment