Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Stormy Weather

My mood yesterday was so far below sea level that I was giving Eeyore a run for his buckos.

I know that my sturm und drang is, in part, wrapped up in missing my beloved but it’s also due to the…yup…stormy weather. The days are dark, grey, wet, windy and cold. They don’t exactly inspire me to walk the beach or, for that matter, do much of anything but snack, read trashy novels, nap and drink coffee.

Which brings me to yesterday’s très apt Word for the Day:
Benighted
adjective

1. overtaken by darkness.
“the storm robbed Valhalla of power – we had no choice but to huddle benighted at home”
2.  in a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance, typically owing to a lack of opportunity.
“the Purity Posse riders saw themselves as strong-arm bringers of enlightenment to us poor benighted vanilla Lefties"

AND, yes, of course I have this tune stuck in my bean now!

Don't know why
There's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps rainin' all the time

I'm weary all the time, the time
So weary all the time
When he went away, the blues walked in and met me

Yeah Lena, sing it baby!
Yesterday, benighted me was feeling as though I just couldn’t. Couldn’t what? Dunno, waddya got? Whatever it is, I was NOT up for it. Laying under my warm duvet with my bestest grimalkin draped, purring to beat the band, over my chest, I knew beyond doubt that I needed a general dogsbody, a footman to bring me snacks and pat my beleaguered head. How much do those run? Where can I get me one?

I’d lost the will to fetch my own cookies. How pathetic is that?! I was just gonna, Fig Newtonless, head back to Napland. Oh yes I was.

And then a wave of self-disgust rolled over me. The sitch had become woefully absurd. I HAD to move. At the very least I had to get up, brush my teeth, do some stretching exercises and eat a piece of actual, unadulterated fruit. Sheesh!

 I know that my energy levels and sadness lift when I’m active. I know this but…counter-intuitive much?

I forced myself up and out from under my giant, happy yet terrifying puma (Alright already, my sweet little angel kitten who is NOT scary in the least) and did the worst thing I could, at that moment, imagine. I went to the gym. Had a full workout too.

As uszh, I was stunned that, afterward, I felt so much better. I wasn’t filled with Black Beauty levels of energy and I wasn’t all Golden Dragoned and shroomed up but I was able to function. My mood was no longer in Dismal's sub-basement. I could face the day's challenges.

I've been 'round this grim mood block a few bazillion times before – why is it still so damn hard to spark my ass up and out? Today's excuse? Snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment