Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2018

Random Wordosity

I’m in a ruminative state of mind this steamy morning.

Fer instance:
Transmundane is an adjective, purportedly meaning:
reaching beyond or existing outside the physical or visible world

OR
is it really a neighborhood in Transylvania filled with data entry drones, accountants and bank clerks whose idea of an exciting time is watching The Price is Right while eating take out from McDonald's.

Did you know, there’s a spiffy word for carnivores who eat all their veggies:
Flexitarian
a person whose diet is mostly vegetarian but sometimes includes meat, fish, or poultry.

Ya know… omnivore’s a perfectly lovely word but, I guess, it's less hip and NOW. 

Mind-pop is when a word, phrase, image, song or the like comes suddenly to mind. Maybe it's somehow related to what you've been doing/working on and maybe not. It might be part of a frustrated, inchoate thought process from the day before.

Do NOT confuse mind-pop with brainsicle.
A brainsicle is when your mind freezes up because you’ve run into the cool girl/guy you’ve been jonesin’ for and you can’t think of even one vaguely interesting thing to say. As in:
"Man, I had a solid brainsicle when I ran into Cleo last night. She must think I’m Sominex on legs."
OR it means, from the Urban Dictionary:
A condition in which two large testicles replace the right and left hemispheres of the human brain.
Dude A: Bro, Johnny just jumped from the roof into the swimming pool with his bike, what an idiot.
Dude B: No dude, that kid's got brainsicles.
Merriam Webster has a page chock full of interesting if cumbersome words to help me in expressing my emotions.

Liberosis
The desire to care less about things. As we mature into adults, we take on more and more responsibilities. Liberosis is the feeling you get when you wish you could be a child again, without cares and concerns.

I do NOT want to be a child again. That was most def not an easier time. Nope. If anything, I long for the laid back summer days when Jen, Oni, The Amazing Bob and I chilled on the veranda – TAB listened to his Soxsies on the radio as we read our sci fi novels. Peaceful, easy.

Jouska
This is a hypothetical conversation that you play out over and over in your head. For example, replaying an argument in your head where you say all the right things and “win” the argument, 

Is it pure coincidence that jouska looks and sounds like joust?  Replaying the fight but this time I say all the right things – isn’t that jousting with myself?

Compunctious
feeling remorse or regret
"I was in a compunctious state of mind, wishing I’d not sent that rage-filled email."
Desiderium
an ardent desire or longing; especially: a feeling of loss or grief for something lost
related to desideratum, which means “something desired as essential” 


from the Latin desiderare (meaning “to long for”)


Naturally, this brings us to Max Ehrmann’s poem, posterized and seen on the walls of all early 70s woke young women and girl’s bedroom walls.

Alexithymia
inability to identify and express or describe one’s feelings


Saying that I feel all alexithymia-y is way better than just shrugging and shrugging and saying dunno.  Makes me sound SMAHT! Right? 

Leucocholy
a state of feeling that accompanies preoccupation with trivial and insipid diversions
"Mine, you are to know, is a white Melancholy, or rather Leucocholy, for the most part; which though it seldom laughs or dances, nor ever amounts to what one calls Joy or Pleasure, yet is a good easy sort of state, and ça ne laisse que de s’amuser."
~ Thomas Gray
AND ça ne laisse que de s’amuser? Google translate gives me the straight up it leaves only fun. Everything always sounds way more elegant in French. N'est-ce pas?

I'm wondering, where does this phrase come from?  He returned her feelings. When I think on it, it makes me wonder:

Is this like the P.O.? 
Her feelings were returned for insufficient emotional postage.
Like a store?
I returned his feelings because they were wrong size and made my ass look big.
Like the library?
I finished reading her emotions, so, I returned them before I owed a penalty.
I'm just all curious and shit.

4 comments:

  1. Transmundane: A person from Denmark who always cross-dresses on the first day of the week

    Flexitarian: A non-trinitarian heretic who does yoga

    Compunctious: Describes a person who, compulsively, punctuates his sentences, with commas (rarely used since the opposite problem is now so much more widespread)

    Desiderium: A chemical element which removes all persons named Sidney

    Alexithymia: "Parsley, sage, rosemary, and....." in the style of Alexander the Great

    I think Jeffrey Dahmer kept brainsicles in his freezer, but I'm not sure.

    Things do tend to sound more elegant in high-prestige foreign languages. Caput tuum in ano est sounds a lot classier than "You have your head up your ass". That's due to the patina of classicism built up over time, though. The Romans back in the day were a pretty vulgar lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still are but SO elegant!

      Also, your additions are hilarious – thank you!

      Delete
    2. I think I may be, ahh ... compunctious.

      Delete
    3. about anything in particular?

      Delete