Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2018

I Ain't Got Time to Bleed!

Grendel – he was sadly, tragically misunderstood!
I woke up with a goddamned, motherfucking cold! Fer fuck’s sake I’m just three weeks and three days past ginormous back surgery. What the everlovin' fuck? I, seriously, don’t have time for this shit. It’s a beautiful day. I could be walking along the seawall, enjoying the sight of gulls at play and the way the color of the water changes when a cloud passes overhead. I could be getting some good leg strengthening exercise. But NOOOOOOOOOO, I’ve got  cold.

Whenever I’d come down with a cold, The Amazing Bob would give me THE hardest time. Why? Because, insane me, would INSIST on going to work, functioning as much as could be described as, for me, “normal." This, despite headaches which felt like Grendel and his thousand homely brothers were up in me cranium, fighting an epic grudge-match with that fucker Beowulf. There are giant filthy footed dragons, clawing their way around my throat (Dudes, I asked you NICELY to get yur nails trimmed!). This naturally leads to the occasional rocket launch of technicolor spewage – whatever I may have eaten in the past year fountains up, even if it’d all run that road, ridden that train already.

NOT pretty.

When I’d be all I GOTTA GO TO WORK/I CAN DO THIS!!! TAB would, in turn, shout – a la Jesse Ventura –“I ain’t got time to bleed!”

Why? Oh, motherfucking why, am I like this? Possibly because I’ve always felt that I need to be three times as good as everyone else, at anything. Also, I need to be twice as fast.This is just so’s I can, in my own bean anyway, be considered just as smart and talented as anyone else.

Insecure? What? Who me? We moved so often when I was growing up – I felt I was constantly having to prove myself. And I was. You know how cruel kids can be. Aside from the Nf2 dictated permanent ban on me and childbearing, I didn’t want to have a beloved bairn go through all the bullying and harassment that I was subject to.

So, today I’m illin’. I believe I’ll head back upstairs, flop out and mebbe read (my eyes may be open BUT they may not – NO guarantees).

4 comments:

  1. TAB was right about that. I understand the impulse, but you have to take it easy when you're sick. For one thing, I've found that things like colds go away faster when you don't push yourself. Your immune system uses energy, and the more it has available without competition, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spent the entire day in bed sleeping--my immune system better wake tomorrow dancing and singing...dammit.

      Delete
  2. I think I am in denial every time I get sick. I keep going until it becomes so obvious that i basically collapse.

    In contrast, my dad, who almost never gets sick, has the right idea. He disappears into the bedroom and sleeps it off. I need to be more like him.

    Hope you're back to being Grendel-less soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denial, only as far as the common and ultra annoying cold in concerned, is how I roll. Nf2 type stuff I'm on top of like a lion on a herd of antelopes.

    Still Grendel-ing today and, boyhowdy, that pisses me off!

    ReplyDelete