Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2018

Yap, Yap, Yap

The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech.
~ George Bernard Shaw

I dreamed I was in HR again – interviewing and hiring wasn’t my primary bag (training/teaching was my thing) but, in this Sleepyville adventure, that was my thing. Instead of offset printing, I was tasked with hiring jazz musicians. I didn’t get to hear loads of intense and delicious acid jazz, hard bop  or West Coast Cool though. Nope.

I was dealing with the nuts and bolts of resumes, other paperwork and a drastically annoying, yappy co-worker. You know, the type who simply can’t abide silence – not even for a second.

She was short, a little chubby, nice enough and adorably cute but she would NOT shut the fuck up. I tried telling her “I’m deaf, can’t hear you – you’re wasting your time. STOP talking.” Like so many people I say this to, this young irritant kept on with the jibber-jabber.

When this shit happens in real life (and in this dream), I assume my crossing guard STOP pose and explain to them carefully the definition of the word deaf and how this effects them.

It’s an utter puzzler for far too many otherwise sentient beings.

He's asking "where?" Note the facial expression.
What I really like about being deaf (and godDAMN that feels funny to write) is that it often acts as an editor for those who otherwise suffer from the disease of terminal loquacity. Strangers, once they understand that I'm deaf, tend to, as much as they’re able, get to the point. I don’t need or want to work my lipreading stones off for nothing more than filler and folderol.

Most people talk too much, and what they do say is often just noise or irrelevant gibberish designed to keep themselves entertained.
~ Stuart Wilde, Silent Power 

Best – I love the shop clerks who just show me what they’re trying to communicate “do you want a bag for this?” and they hold up a bag. "Do you have  frequent shopper card” and they hold up a card. This is accompanied by the “questioning face.”

Never miss a good chance to shut up.
~ Will Rogers

I've begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own.
~ Chaim Potok, The Chosen 

Ten will be here to visit in six short days. SQUEEEEEEEE!!! One of the many things I adore about him is that we can talk (generally, via a speech to text app he’s downloaded on his tinyphone) or we can be silent together. It’s beautiful and wonderfully comfortable.

I won't say another word -- not one. I know I talk too much, but I am really trying to overcome it, and although I say far too much, yet if you only knew how much I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit for it.
~ L.M. Montgomery

2 comments:

  1. Never pass up the opportunity to quote Will Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
      ~ Will Rogers
      :-)

      Delete