Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2019

Monday…I think

I'm groggy and foggy this morning. WHY!? I’ve been doing a lot more lately (I mentioned this already) and it’s knocking me clean out.

Last night, fer instance, I slept for 11 hours! The night before? 10.5. Sheesh!

Ya know though, these sleep-a-thons aren't ALL due to my reentry into the world of activity, my recent departure from doctor prescribed Do Nearly Nada City. Jen and Ten put in a LOT of rack time over this past weekend as well. It’s not just me, your fave, soon to be ex invalid.

’Tis the season and shit. It’s the distinct and oppressive lack of sunlight.

From a helpful Accuweather post:
"Light directly impacts the pituitary, which secretes melatonin," Chair of the Homeopathy Department at Bastyr University's School of Naturopathic Medicine Dr. Brad Lichtenstein, N.D., said. 
Melatonin regulates the body's sleep-wake cycles. Lack of light can cause the body to produce more of the chemical, making the body feel tired and sluggishWhen air is too cold, it will negatively affect melatonin production and cause the body's sleep cycle to be disrupted.
 AND they helpfully provided:
Tips for Better Winter Season Sleep

1. Set a routine.
2. Set the room temperature to be cool and comfortable, but not too dry.
3. Turn off electronic equipment an hour or two before going to bed.
4. Get moving or get some exercise everyday.
5. Try to relax before going to sleep.
6. Get some light exposure everyday.
7. Try not to eat three to four hours before going to bed.
Let’s take a look-see. How much am I already following the tip list and where can I improve:

1) I do, to a degree/sorta/kinda have a daily routine. The day, invariably, starts in the dark with feeding Coco and Umlaut, litter box cleaning, dish washing, coffee, ranting, randomizing or just say hello to all of you, seawall runs to snap shots of the gorgeous dawn color, mebbe a little layout/design work and then Jen comes over with brekkie for our morning chat and whine (I’m the whiner, not her but I’ll bet you already knew that) All this happens, generally, before 7AM. The rest of the day is largely formless – filled with more work (if any’s come in), acts of hygiene, reading, painting, gym, walkies and errands. (Thrilling...no?)

Do I need to introduce more structure? //shrugs// I can make sure that I get my walk in by 3PM – no later. I don’t think I need to be more disciplined than that.

2) For the most part, it’s too damn warm in my house but the thermostat is one of those incomprehensible (to me) programmable deals. I’ll ask Jen or Oni if they can deal with this.

3) Since I communicate using my tinyphone I’m unable to eliminate ALL screen time in the hour or so before bed BUT, as of today, there will be NO Internet (Republican/Fascist Party news is banned!) after 6PM.

4) Daily exercise – on it.

5) Relax before sleep. What is this thing... “relax?” *sigh* I’ll go back to my deep breathing exercises – do a round or three regularly before cot time. I will too!

6) Light exposure. If there’s any to be had, I’m all over it.

7) I don’t eat late (unless that diabolical Jen has forced me to snack on delicious roasted veg whilst we watch Fringe!). I’m now and always have been your basic Early Bird Special dinner diner. It’s what happens when you’re a stone morning person.

Alrighty then, there are things I can do so’s I’m not sleeping (or sleepwalking) through the rest of this winter. Solid!

No comments:

Post a Comment