Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

On a Tear

gratuitous dawn shot
I am on a cleaning, tossing, organizing mission. My goal? Get rid of all the crap that I just do NOT need.

But yes, YES, I DO need some of those old cards and letters. I don’t necessarily need to see them daily but reading them, on occasion, does spark joy. Don't we all need more of that joy shit? OK, OK, mebbe it's not exactly joy. They ARE launching a bit ‘o’ time travel though – smiles and boosted endorphins always follow. Good stuff, n'est-ce pas?

I’m, for once, being wicked smaht about storing stuff too. I know myself well enough to know out of sight/out of mind. If it's in the back of the closet or in some random basement box, I WILL forget that, whatever it is, exists.

This time around, I put an item in a box and I add it to the list (on the side of said container). Once the box is full, I take a pic of the list. This JPG goes into a file on my laptop labeled Basement Storage.

Another area getting the let’s-red-the-shit-outta-this treatment – the fridge. (I can see my friend Joe rolling his eyes and mouthing “about damn time, Donna” now)

Supervisor Coco is on the job!
I was finally able to empty and toss the 2 liter bottle of Coke that’s been sitting top shelf/rear for the past two and a half years. Two and a half years. I don’t drink soda ‘cept for ginger ale when I have a tummy ache. So...yes, it was The Amazing Bob’s. Why’d I keep it all this time? Eh, it’s silly – I know. It’s just taking me a long-ass time to let go of even the smallest physical evidence of him.

I also found four jars of honey in there. ???? Yes, I put honey in hot toddies and in my, very rare, cuppa tea but FOUR jars? And I have maple syrup too. I NEVER use maple syrup! WTF and shit?

Oh wait, I know – this is more TAB stuff. Honey doesn’t go bad and the maple syrup’s always been in the fridge so it should still be good too. Possibly Jen will want/need my antique honey and maple syrup collection and/or I can use ‘em next time Ten visits?

What other mysterious things will I find as I continue my purge and scrub?
Housework can't kill you, but why take the chance?
~ Phyllis Diller
Obvs, I like to live dangerously.

4 comments:

  1. You got a scanner? Scan the shit out of those cards and letters. Bits & bytes take up a lot less space than boxes. I say that knowing full well that I have done nothing of the kind with my own boxes of memorabilia. Still, it's a valid option and you'd be setting such a good example for the rest of us, as you always do /snort/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      eh, I don't have all that mcu that I'm saving and I DO so love ink on paper. I think I'll be OK but THANKS for the tip. RILLY!

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to do the same thing over the past couple months. There are lots of things I sort of want to keep but darn well I'll never use or look at again, so it goes.

    Good luck with your clearing. You'll feel better afterwards, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Harry! With each load I take to the dumpster, I feel a little lighter and more free.

      Delete