Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Lucky

Today I’m feeling lucky. War-the fuck-um?
  • I have amazing friends who, unaccountably, love and help me through all the Scheiße life throws me.
  • I live in Massachusetts where Treasonweasel loving assholian idiots are in a definite minority.
  • Plague45 is on the upswing here (428 new cases yesterday and 17 deaths) BUT I’m fortunate in not having to leave the house ‘cept for walkies at 5:30 AM and groceries once a week during early, old bat hours.
  • While I miss seeing my chums, I’m now kind of used to this new seclusion, this quarantine with no end in sight.
  • Valhalla is paid for.
  • Coco, my precious kitten, is healthy and wonderful.
  • Though I’m stuck with this exhausting, physically banjaxing, bullshit Nf2, I have THE best docs and surgeons. Yeah, Team Donna ROCKS!
  • This is easily arguable BUT I’m sane. I have multiple creative outlets. I’m ever curious about the world around me. Also too, I have a (warped) sense of humor. All this means that I’m well equipped (as much as that’s possible) to handle the myriad shit storms.
Yes, I have regrets, complaints, assorted anger/sad inducers AND dreams that will, likely, go unfulfilled BUT…eh…I’ve been lucky and that don’t suck. Ya know?

Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 

OK, OK – good point. I’ve made more well-considered decisions than stupidly thoughtless ones BUT that doesn’t account for all of my life’s this-doesn’t-suckness.

Nanny Ogg looked under her bed in case there was a man there. Well, you never knew your luck.
~ Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Oh, I am fortune's fool!
~ William Shakespeare
 
Well, that’s for damn sure!

In Madeleine's face was a stupidity Mitchell had never seen before. It was the stupidity of all normal people. It was the stupidity of the fortunate and the beautiful, of everybody who got what they wanted in life and so remained unremarkable.
~ Jeffrey Eugenides, The Marriage Plot

By happy chance, I wasn’t born fortunate, normal (whatever that is) or beautiful – just slightly savvier than your average bear. Mebbe.

Life is like a stew, you have to stir it frequently, or all the scum rises to the top.
~ Tom Robbins 

"Scum" AKA Republicans.

I think we consider too much the luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bad luck is only the superstitious excuse for those who don't have the wit to deal with the problems of life.
~ Joan Lowery Nixon

No comments:

Post a Comment