Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Plaid season is back

One of the good things about being basically housebound is that I don’t have to see other people’s horrific sartorial statements.

Yes, clothing styles, just like tastes in music, art and dance are mega subjective. The colors, patterns and styles we each choose to wear are no one else’s business. Having said that—ooo baby, there’re NO attractive versions of plaid. When you wear plaid (and you’re not a resident of Scotland—they get a pass) you’re essentially conveying that either you don’t give a good goddamn how you look and/or you’ve just given up on life.

Oh, look now, I hear you. You’re saying “but you wear tie dye all the time (when you’re not rockin’ old band t-shirts). How is that any different?” Oh please sugar babies, it's night and fucking day. Tie dye is colorful. It screams of joie de vivre. Band Ts tell a story—they’re conversation starters. Plaid? Tells me you’re depressed or dull and, quite possibly, a Republican.

No, this isn’t rock solid Vulcan logic BUT I’ve learned, over this long damn life, to be a bit leery of those who choose to wear this pattern.
~~~
Jen says I fall into a grey area regarding most habits but perhaps especially in the realm of underdrawers removal. In our small batch informal survey, we found that men drop their underwear on the floor when undressing pre-shower. After which, all men then hook said garment on their big toe and flick it up to their hand before placing it in or near the dirty clothes pile. Conversely, women slide off the skivvies and then bend over to pick them up before placing them in the hamper.

Me? I like to mix it up. Mostly, I pull off my duds (all of ‘em) as though they’re sworn enemies who are trying to strangle me. I then venomously hurl them across the room in the general direction the laundry bin. Sometimes I even manage to make the basket.

Fascinating, no?
~~~
Bast only knows why BUT, the second my head hit the pillow last night, my bean began playing a greatest hits selection of all the anxiety inspiring memories and fears living in ma tĂȘte. No matter how much I tried to not think bad thoughts they kept coming back. I finally got up, had a gummy and read for a couple hours.

It’s time to get back to my focused relaxation techniques:

Breathing
The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as “relaxing breath,” involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds. This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety or help people get to sleep. (source)

Progressive muscle relaxation.

In one method of progressive muscle relaxation, you start by tensing and relaxing the muscles in your toes and progressively working your way up to your neck and head.

Visualization
To relax using visualization, try to include as many senses as you can, such as smell, sight, sound and touch. If you imagine relaxing at the ocean, for instance, think about the smell of salt water, the sound of crashing waves and the warmth of the sun on your body. (source)
With most of the summer off, more or less, from MGH and thelast few months of gains in my rehabbing, I’ve been a LOT less tense. Possibly the advent of chemo has upped my stress levels. Could very well be.

No comments:

Post a Comment