Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

43

43 years ago I graduated from college.

The year was 1980.

The Macintosh 128K, the first Apple Macintosh personal computer, wouldn’t hit the world for another four years.

Goddamn, I’m feeling old.

43 years before 1980 it was 1937. My father had one candle on his birthday cake that year. My mother had 10.  In that year:

World War II was two years off and the U.S. wouldn’t join in all the horror until 1941.
A lot can happen in 43 years. Where will we be 43 years from now, in 2066?

  • Dunno ‘bout you but, by then, I’ll have been sleeping with the fishies for at least a couple of decades.
  • Will Valhalla be under water? Will the West Coast be nothing but desert? Will Florida have vanished like Atlantis (a stupid Atlantis)? Probably.
  • Might humans have colonized Mars? Not if MusKKK (AKA Space Karen) is at all involved.
  • Will biotech have advanced to the point that organ donors are unnecessary? Need a heart or lung transplant? Ring up Draper or Sanofi and have one delivered by tea time.
  • Will there finally be a cure for the summertime blues?

Frankly, I’ll be flat-out stunned if 2066 rolls around and humans still exist at all. Given that I’ll be all deady and shit, how will I know to be stunned or not?  Like this—I’ll be looking in from my alternate paradisal dimension. You know, it’s the afterlife locale ruled by cats, where snacks, naps and brill books (by Catherynne Valente, Louise Penny and Martin Millar to name just a few ambrosial authors) are the general plan for each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment