Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2026

One Season Wonders

WHY are my absolute favorite, most beloved, much needed for max chillage teevee shows always cancelled after just one measly season?! Hmmmmm?! Are there sadists in Hollywood and the UK? I’m asking you?

I mean, just feast your eyes on this list of fabulous escapist storyline treasures

Kaos  
… discord reigns on Mount Olympus and almighty Zeus spirals into paranoia, three mortals are destined to reshape the future of humankind.

What would happen if Zeus was a tasteless, egotistical, paranoid, and overly controlling deity, whose best friend (and long-time prisoner), Prometheus, was secretly plotting his downfall. Orpheus is a rock star. Dionysus is a party-boy who’s feeling empty — he’s looking for more out of life. Hades and Persephone are actually loving and supportive partners. Hera, Zeus’s wife and sister is really just sick to death of him. Does this not sound like a fabulous show to you?!

The Boroughs  
In a seemingly perfect retirement community, a crew of unlikely heroes must stop an otherworldly threat from stealing the one thing they don't have: time.

🚨 SPOILER ALERT! ðŸš¨
We find out in the end that the aliens, who we’ve been led to believe are the baddies, have been in fact victimized for multiple decades by wealthy capitalist fuckers. There SHOULD have been at least a second season so we could have a happy, free, next chapter for the aliens who had been enslaved for so long

Lovecraft Country 
A search for a missing father turns into an otherworldly trip. Based on Matt Ruff's novel, this series follows Korean war vet Atticus Freeman, his friend Letitia and his Uncle George on a journey across 1950s Jim Crow America.

Why no second season? Supposedly it’s because the first season covered the entirety of Matt Ruff’s 2016 novel which the show is taken from. I’d buy that except for the fact that producers managed to squeeze out another season and a half of Good Omens despite covering all of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s book in the first season. The only reason Omens ended at 2.5 seasons was because it came out that Gaiman had assaulted and otherwise abused multiple women. The reports that emerged were shockingly awful and the backlash was deservedly fierce. If not for that, Omens would likely still be running.

Apparently Lovecraft may have had a slightly similar issue as one of the stars, Jonathan Majors, was arrested and found guilty of assault, aggravated harassment, and harassment of his now ex-girlfriend. Bad publicity but they could have just replaced him, right?

Firefly
  
A renegade crew aboard a small spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them.

Yes the show came out in 2002 and I’m still pissed about this.

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Precious Ramotswe launches the first-ever female detective agency in Botswana. She embarks on various adventures while investigating cases and must also overcome several challenges in her quest.

Not an earth shattering show it was nice, intriguing, enjoyable, engaging, and filmed in Botswana. I’ve never been there so it was like traveling without having to leave home. I miss that.

Crazyhead 
Bowling alley worker Amy and nonconformist Raquel kick some serious demon butt while also facing their inner demons as they navigate their early 20s.

This show was SO much fun! Okay, okay, there’s one episode where, in order to kill the demon, Raquel has to hold the bastard down while Amy pees on his face. That was just hilarious. Of course I imagined Jen and I stuck in that same scenario. I’d be the one holding the demon down because Jen has better balance and could stand and pee on a demon’s face without falling over. Obvs, I couldn’t.
Ride or Die
Debbie discovers that her friend of 20 years, Judith, is secretly an assassin. After a hit goes wrong, they go on the run while being targeted by a mysterious enemy, forcing them to confront the secrets between them.

THIS is the one that’s currently just killing me! I LOVE this show. Octavia Spencer as Debbie the ultra smart and savvy American wife of a member of Parliament and Hannah Waddingham as Judith the elite assassin are an amazing team. WHY is there not a second season? I want to know! We have just one episode left to watch and I just can’t see how everything can be satisfactorily wrapped up.

I need a second season dammit!

One show that deservedly got a second season — Reginald the Vampire. This wasn’t a killer-diller show but it was sweet, fun, and the storyline needed more than one season to properly resolve. Not all shows need to go on forever (hello, I’m looking at you Law & Order) but — please— can we NOT have forced, sudden endings?

Okay, one exception. I’d like a forced sudden ending to the Pedo and Putin Show. You know, the one with Netanyahu guest starring. Yeah, cancel that shit please. Right now, K?

No comments:

Post a Comment