Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sick Days and Lime Tarts

Incredibly, to me anyway, I’m home sick today. Sheesh, I wouldn’t even need all the fingers on Marge Simpson’s left hand to tally up the number of sick days I’ve taken in the last 5 years.

Dunno if this is me finally getting a little smarter, (i.e., if I stay abed resting for a day I’ll feel all better faster. Damn, what a concept!) or it’s a fluke and we shouldn’t think too much more on it. I’m kinda leaning toward that second bit.

In any case, I saw my Primary Care Physician yesterday, got all kinds of lovely new asthma meds, a flu shot AND the happy news that I’m finally dropping some weight. Naturally I wanted to celebrate this fab-ola occurrence with some of Saint Fratelli’s cake -- you know, with giant frosting roses. Or maybe I was thinking of their Chocolate Nightmare. Possibly the lime tarts with that splendid dollop of real whipped cream. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, tarts.

Nope, I passed on all that, came home and had a brown rice cake.

God, I’m so mature I’m practically breaking out in mold...you know, like a fine Camembert. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, cheese.

In any case, in other happy health news. I stopped into the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary hearing aid department. They ran a bunch 'o' tests on my tiny mechanical ear and it checked out AOK. It seems I got a nasty batch of batteries so I tossed the entire pack. Yea!

Meanwhile back at my sick day -- incredibly, I seem to be incapable of sleeping the entire day away. Long procrastinated research was done on where Jen and I will stay during our visit to Reykjavik. We fly out next Friday. While we're wandering, gallivanting and otherwise getting ourselves up to no good, the menfolk will be home tending our herd of cat (or, possibly, vice versa).

The goal for this vaca is to see some cool, inspiring art, hike around wild landscapes (MUST remember to pack/wear my hiking booties), visit the penis museum (OF COURSE!) and just chill. We’ll breathe deep, relax and gain a better perspective on all things life like.

We’ll be staying in a small apartment in the city center. After our visit to my cousin Della in Berlin, where we stayed in an apartment/hotel, I’m utterly sold on the concept. There’s something fab about being able to stock up a fridge with fruit, veggies, tea and real coffee -- about NOT having to take every last meal or cuppa out.

That and Jen and I occasionally enjoy being utterly anonymous. There’s something calming about traveling in our own little thought bubble -- not having to put social faces on if we’re not in the mood.

You may be thinking, "but Donna, you’re always such a social butterfly." All I can say to that is this...yup. I’m wired funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment