Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Bubblegum Life

Last night I dreamed that my beloved friend Kevin (who died 35 years ago due to Bush I’s Gulf War) was on the USS Lincoln. I was heavily stressing about how he was doing – so much so that I went in to the local Navy office to get information and, just generally, kick up a fuss. My tantrum was tamped down by the fact that the official at the desk was an old coworker of mine of whom I was quite fond. I didn’t want to go full metal Donna on him.

Where did this dream come from? 

The Little World of Liz

Yesterday was my birthday. I was feeling old and thinking of all those I’ve loved and outlived. I’m also, of course, stressing my ass off over the news.

Kevin was a Hebrew and Arabic linguist for the Navy.

The official at the desk who was a former coworker? In real life his name is Israel.

I wish all my dreams were so easy to figure out.

How did I spend my big b-day?

Well, Ten made my favorite breakfast – blueberry pancakes with spinach. He and Cake brought them to me while I lounged around in bed, blogging, doodling, and being a basic slug (one of my better innate talents). Later, I went over to Jen’s – she had picked up fish and chips from our local pub. We watched the final four (count ‘em four!) episodes of Resident Alien. OMG! I’m sorry the show came to an end BUT they wrapped it up in the best possible way. NO spoilers here!

Okay, just one. They FABULOUSLY placed The Youngbloods song Get Together. When the lyrics came up on the screen, I was stunned – I mean, it was perfect! I was immediately transported back to a naive, happier, hopeful time. I think I was 9 or 10 when the song came out. 

I actually had a friend that year (until my family moved away to the alien midwest). She and I listened to 45s on her older sister’s record player – things like Incense and Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm Clock, Simon Says by 1910 Fruitgum Company, and Pleasant Valley Sunday by The Monkees. 

I wonder what Julie’s doing now. She wanted to be a veterinarian when she grew up. Her dog was named Tippy. My parents were friends with hers so, years later, I heard some news about the family. One of Julie’s older brothers committed suicide on the night of her senior prom. Her father went into the dance to tell her and bring her home.

What was his reason for deleting himself? I never heard but it was implied that it had something to do with him having moved to Boston and that not working out. Not long after returning to rural Western Pennsylvania he did the deed. So, he felt like a failure? Dunno.

A few years later, when I told my folks that I was moving to Boston, my mother freaked. For the first time that I could remember, she expressed actual concern for me, my plans and safety. She wanted me to know that I could always come home. Two things:

  1. With my violent, wackbrained brother, anyfuckingwhere on this planet (or any other) was safer than home. 
  2. I’d just come off the road from my final season with a scuzzy Midwest carnival where I’d encountered a whole ass variety of insane dangers and I survived. Go me, eh?
I'd already been hit with some pretty solid shots. All it did was piss me off and make me more determined to get the fuck up, out, and on my own. Which I did. 

In any case, I’ve tried doing a search for Julie – no luck. I'm not looking to reconnect. Much more I’d just like to know if she became a vet or what other path her life might have taken. Did John’s suicide, just a few months before she was due to leave for college, derail her? Did she get help to understand, process and cope?

Last night I could clearly hear Get Together in my head and, yeah – you bet – my eyes got all watery.

Love is but a song we sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
And you may not know why

Come on, people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now


If only life was that simple. Bubblegum pop did not prepare me for the harsh realities of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment