Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Why Do We Create?

I can only answer for myself -- creativity is hardwired into my system. I don’t honestly think about the whys. I’m too busy focusing more on the how, when, where and MORE NOW please!

There are very few things in my life that I won't examine hyper closely, that I refrain from obsessing over and studying to death and back into zombie life again.

Why I paint/write/play in the clay might just be the one bit that I don’t meditate on mercilessly.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

To paraphrase Crash Davis in Bull Durham -- Don't think. You can only hurt the art. 

I’m curious about other people’s motivations and, for that matter, what do others even make of the question itself.

The cartoonist James Sturm answered in this 2009 article Why We Make Art at the website for The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley.
The reasons are unimportant.

I like the question “Why Do You Make Art?” because it assumes what I do is art. A flattering assumption. The question also takes me back to my freshman year of college, where such questions like “What is nature?” and “Is reality a wave or a circle?” were earnestly debated (usually late at night and after smoking too much weed).


Twenty-five years later I’d like to think I am a little more clear-headed regarding this question. Perhaps the only insight I’ve gained is the knowledge that I have no idea and, secondly, the reasons are unimportant. Depending on my mood, on any given day, I could attribute making art to a high-minded impulse to connect with others or to understand the world or a narcissistic coping mechanism or a desire to be famous or therapy or as my religious discipline or to provide a sense of control or a desire to surrender control, etc., etc., etc.
Whatever the reason, an inner compulsion exists and I continue to honor this internal imperative. If I didn’t, I would feel really horrible. I would be a broken man. So whether attempting to make art is noble or selfish, the fact remains that I will do it nevertheless. Anything past this statement is speculation. I would be afraid that by proclaiming why I make art would be generating my own propaganda.
And, molto succinctly here’s what hip hop artist KRS-One had to say:
I was born this way, born to make art, to make hip hop.
I asked The Amazing Bob ‘why do you write poetry? why do you doodle on the piano?

He gave me one of those you’re-a-very-strange-yet-oddly-charming-creature looks, followed by the it’s-not-even-7 AM-yet,-what-ARE-you-on-about-now gander. Then he shrugged and effortlessly pronounced 'PHFFFT!'

Yeah, what TAB said.

No comments:

Post a Comment