Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Two Years After

I was feeling a bit down yesterday and couldn’t sort out why until this morning. We’re closing in on the second anniversary of Aunt Mary Ann’s departure on the Second Avenue Subway line to Olympus.

Everywhere I turned, while puttering around the house, I came across something that goosed up a memory of her.

Mary Ann never learned how to drive. She lived at 300 East 46th Street in Manhattan for most of her life so, no need. When she moved home to Hoosick Falls, New York to care for Grandpa/her father, who was in his 90s and beginning to slow up, her errand running was limited to where she could get to on foot. Hoosick Falls, while wonderful -- idyllic even, is not exactly a burgeoning metropolis so, yeah, her options were muy constrained.

Sure, she could snag the odd favor and/or tag along with neighbors but this didn’t always fit with Grandpa’s needs. As time passed and his health weakened, he couldn’t be alone even for a couple of hours.

Once a month I’d drive up to visit, help out around the house and take Mary Ann errand running and shopping. She would get a neighbor to stay with Grandpa and we would have a day to play. Sure, we were getting chores and errands done but we were having fun -- usually ending the afternoon at Carmody’s in Bennington for a burger and drink.

On one visit, we were at a store where lighting fixtures were repaired and sold. She caught me sighing and drooling over the faux Tiffany lamps and invited me to pick one out -- she’d buy it for me.

Gloriosky and huzzah!

I couldn’t decide. I was lost in a fog of uncertainty -- they were ALL so beautiful!

My bedside reading lamp was a gift from her. This wee accent lamp too. Yup, she bought them both for me.


I still find myself thinking 'oh, I must tell Mary Ann about this,' or 'Mary Ann will just love these shoes -- they're just darling!'

What is the half life of grief?

Ten Years After -- I'm Going Home

No comments:

Post a Comment