Search This Blog

Sunday, August 18, 2013

They Say It’s My Birthday

Birthday Morning
And it is too. Normally I absolutely ADORE my birthday. Honestly, what’s not to love about tons of positive attention from friends, family and acquaintances. Then there’s presents! And The Amazing Bob makes his most awesome carrot cake (drool city!) with cream cheese frosting!

This year’s felt different. I’ve been wickedly bummed for a few days now.

This can be traced, in part, to seeing some pics of myself taken at a friends’s recent party. I looked dreadful by way of ghastly. Scary even. Mind you, the day was 90+ degrees, I’d triked over AND was totally not looking forward to attempting to lipread a giant party worth of folk I’d never met before. No one knew ASL though a few could finger spell a bit which was helpful.

In any case, in these pics I resembled one of the before pics from a Hair Thinning Solutions for Women ad (trike helmet head -- oof), I seemed to be rockin’ the Mega Bovine look for 2013 AND my left eye, the damaged wonky one, looked to be about twice its actual size. NOT pretty and NO I’m not sharing these brutally appalling images here...wouldn’t want to scare anyone.

Who else is 55 this year? Madonna, Sharon Stone and Michelle Pfeiffer. OY!

Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s their job to look that good. Even with their well cared for, cultivated beauty, at the age of 55 they’re not so employable unless they want to play grandmothers or Cruella DeVil. Even then, glamour and beauty's required.

But back at me, me, ME -- what am I gonna do to perk myself up. Well hell and damnation, I’m gonna have some birthday fun! Jen and I are gonna get breakfast at our fav joint, Stars, and then take a walk on Nantasket Beach. I’ll probably hit a bookstore for a wee splurge (though Martin Millar’s latest The Anxiety of Kalix the Werewolf, is NOT out in the US yet. sigh), take a long trike ride and eat something other than salad.

And I won’t feel guilty (much) about having a zeppelin sized piece of TAB's carrot cake either.

So there.

OK, one last -- I’m gonna have my hair cut by a pro (for once) and dyed. I’m thinking purple pinstripes or maybe a big, wide skunk stripe of purple. One or the other. Oh shut up, it'll be fabulous and yes, there will be pics!
The Beatles -- Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment