Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2013

Today's The Big Day

I’ve long been a big time fan of the Italian designed, BMW Isettas.
These gorgeous babies were produced in Europe in the 1950s with production ending in ’62 (a bunch more info and awesome pics at this Wikipedia link). Even MORE interesting bits here at Whirlingpool.com. Including this hilarious assessment of the Isetta’s looks: 
Looking like the result of a high speed collision between a refrigerator, a scooter, and an ovulating chicken...
Small cars, the more minute the better, have always totally tripped my trigger. Why? They’re so damned cute and the size feels manageable -- juuuuuuuuust right.

I first saw the Smart Car at Cynthia and Giovanni’s wedding, just north of Rome. At once, a wistful dreaming began at the bottom of my soul. I never for a moment imagined that I could have one. I figured they’d be impractical and too expensive. Nope and no. There’s only two seats but The Amazing Bob and I are only two people. There’s plenty of trunk space for grocery shopping expeditions and other small trips (Montreal in October!). Price-wise, like the post WWII Islettas -- created, in part, to provide an inexpensive auto alternative to the struggling population going about on scooters and motorcycles -- a new Smart Car is relatively inexpensive. It's more economical, for me, than the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or the Ford Fiesta.

Today, later this morning, I’ll voyage to the Somerville Smart Car dealership to pick up my brandy new light blue metallic smart fortwo passion coupe (oof, what a name!). This feels like a giant horking deal. It IS a giant horking deal.

Back to the Isetta. It seems BMW is bringing them back. In this incarnation they’ll be electric (YEA!!!) AND available here in the U.S. (more YEA!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment