Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Heat and the Show

Yesterday was hotter than a kiln approaching a cone 10 melting point (that’s 2345ยบ Fahrenheit, just FYI and all. Hyperbole? It’s what’s for breakfast!) and today’s supposed to bring more of the same. ENOUGH! This isn’t Texas, y’all. It’s Massachusetts and I want some of that fine late, late summer low 70s/upper 60s shit. Stat!

Wut? That’ll be here by tomorrow?

oh.

OK then!

While triking around yesterday, I passed Our Lady of the Most Blessed Greeting Card, the local Catholic Church.

There’s a carnival setting up there!!!

Now, it’s a bazillion and one half years since I was with it (as the carny term goes) but I still just love wandering the midway, taking pics and, if possible, chatting with the jointees. Jen’s gonna have to go with me to ‘terp. Or to keep me from, possibly, running off to catch of few late season spots.

Last night, when Hillel and I were tooling home from a fab meal of enchiladas and flautas at La Paloma we passed the small lot where the show’s setting up.

There were rangy, filthy, ragged dudes, all looking like they’d sweat the last drop of moisture outta their skinny ass limbs, sitting on the grass at the edge of the church field/now midway. They appeared practically giddy with exhaustion and, perhaps, the knowledge that they totally looked other, a little dangerous and imaginably exotic.

And that was me 33 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment