Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

All is Quiet on New Year's Day


Spinning on the old internal turntable this morning is U2’s New Years Day. Of course. More bleak than I feel right now but LOVE this song.

Of all the music that I miss, well -- boyhowdy, they’re up there in the top ten. I’m not whining, mind you, just scrolling out a piece of reality.

In any case, last night’s New Year’s celebration was full of low key loveliness -- our custom since we moved down here to Valhalla.

Jen, Oni, The Amazing Bob and I got take out Indian (Palak Paneer, Aloo Mutter, Garlic Nan, Veggie Samosas  and Chinese (whoa! General Tso's Tofu anyone?), played Scrabble and watched the 2009 Star Trek  flick. Again. Yes. I’m wild about it not least because Kirk does NOT get the girl in this version -- Spock does. And the girl? Uhuru. Awesome!

We were all in bed by 11. Yeah, I didn’t watch the clock tick over to midnight and the start of a new year. I had complete faith that 2014 would arrive on schedule. I didn’t feel it necessary for me to supervise.

What’s this mean?

Yes! I was up to greet the dawn on New Year’s Day.

Solid!

U2 -- New Year's Day
All is quiet on New Year's Day

A world in white gets underway

I want to be with you, be with you night and day

Nothing changes on New Year's Day
 
On New Year's Day

I will be with you again


Under a blood red sky


A crowd has gathered, black and white

Arms entwined, the chosen few

The newspapers says,

And so we are told this is the Golden Age


And gold is the reason for the wars we wage

Though I want to be with you, be with you night 
and day

Nothing changes on New Year's Day


On New Year's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment