Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tell Me A Story 2013

I’ve done a lot of blathering over this past year.

Last January I rambled on about words (acerbicitousness, suq. os and xi) and word games. I praised the awesome, incredible Yale Art Gallery with their vast collections of Romantics, Byzantines,
and Moderns.

And then I told another carnival era story, Galveston, Oh Galveston.
It was January of 1979, off season for the show/the carnival. I was hitching around southern Texas with a fun, yet dodgy fellow carnie (there’s possibly some redundancy in that statement).
----------------------------
In February there was the Nemo saga with Saint Erin of the Neck and The Five Stages of Blizzard. There was random bitching with scribbles, a guest post by Kay which originally appeared on the blog Balloon Juice.

And Chuck and Lu -- A Love Story.
My parents were madly in love. Chuck and Lu were bring-the-house-down mad for each other. Sadly, this didn’t guarantee immunity from the rages of life, the realities they were both not so ready for.
---------------------------------------------------
March began with the confessions of a former teen feminist of the overly earnest and conflicted variety. Yes, that was moi.
We had random musings, Unpremeditated Cerebrations, about Pi Day, Rocco’s worrisome absences and really high high tides.
and Friday Cat Blogging with Thelma going all Van Eyck on us.

----------------------------------------
In April I jumped through MRI hoops at MGH, posted pretty scenes with poetry and quotes, provided Handy Dandy Customer Service Tips and ranted.
Today’s Rant Is Brought To You By The Letter N
N as in Netflix.

There’s nothing I like better than sitting in the dark, watching some awesome, absorbing movie.
-----------------------------------------------------
May began with another rant and then some fabola art at Mudflat and the Vernon Street Studios, both in Somerville. I rambled, kvetched, dispensed timeless wisdom //snort// and wondered about
Clueless Social Pinheads
Mind, all these clueless types are or were once friends of mine. They were people of whom I was quite fond even.

So, what happened?
-------------------------------------------------
At the beginning of June I managed to roll my recumbent trike, proving with finality that I am an  Olympic level uncoordinated spaz.

Jen and I saw more brill art at The Fuller Craft Museum.

I was visited by some astoundingly nice, considerate ASL communicating Jehovah’s Witnesses:
Intruder Alert!
Coco and I were sitting out on the veranda, peacefully watching the birds zip by, the leaves dance in the gentle breeze and the tide run out (for beer and smokes, most likely) when, of a sudden, she was all ‘INTRUDER ALERT, INTRUDER ALERT!’
AND found out that I have a fairy godmother!

June was a real trip.
----------------------------
Linguist Man visited Tell Me A Story in July, I wondered and fumed about the Interpersonal Clubfootedness of folks I’ve had the misfortune to know and we had more tremendous guest posts.

And then we had more cats with Gus, Gaston, Rocco and our beautiful warrior Coco. My role of feline nurse, yoga instructor and all around doormat proceeds apace.
----------------
August began a dream where that I was making out with Paul Simon.

My much loved Silver Beetle, Horace needed to move on to VW Heaven but, after some hurdles, I landed myself a magnificent NEW (I’ve never had a jalopy less than ten years old, let alone a NEW one before) Smartcar, named Bix.

I had a birthday.

I interviewed stain glass artist Monica Wing and zipped up to Hoosick Falls for the Garlic Fest in Bennington.
-----------------
In my September trip to Pennsylvania, a visit with Vati, I had a first. I was NOT frisked by security. Honestly, I don’t think this has ever happened before.

My friend Steve Raguskus posted this essay, the memory, which he wrote on the ten year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack. 

Friend Dan had a spinal tap done which brought to mind the one I had back in my very early 20s.
This Is Spinal Tap
‘the whole experience was pretty wild -- by turns scary, fascinating, surreal, Dada-esque and hilarious.’
--------------------------------------
October brought us another hilarious bit of snark from Michael Horan:
God I love her. She represents not only all that is best in America, but also exemplifies the ideal of American Womanhood in all her resplendent virtues, physical, moral, and, needless to say, intellectual.’
I posted a wholly uncomprehensive, random list of people and things that I love, art in Bennington, Vermont and bookstores in Brattleboro and Montpelier Vermont.
---------------------------------------------------------
November was kicked off with hard, wistful, wonderful memories. Steve gave us a memory of his father who died 20 years ago on October 31. My mother took the early Paradiso bound flight on that same day last year.

Though deaf for nearly eight years now, I still happily, get tunes lodged in there. I celebrate this.

I had the fabulous opportunity to interview the author, Kevin Tudish, whose new book 'health, happiness, LOVE, longevity, peace, prosperity, SAFETY' just knocked my socks clean off.

And there was a wee tribute to Jen. Saint Jen.
Shadow May

Lori Watts
----------------------------
My fab bud Brenda Rock, a massage therapist, Hatha yoga teacher and founder of Ananda Centre, Massage and Yoga Therapy in Slane Co. Meath, Ireland graciously allowed me to re-post her essay on World Aids Day (December first).

Then I wrote of how she and I met.

I spoke of my long term shrinkage.

The Green Miles shared his list of Seven Things Louder Than Our Nearby Wind Turbines.

An anonymous friend gave us some hard memories in What I Have Against Virginity.
----------------------------
There's been so many more stories and just a hella lot of fabulous guest posts. It’s been a busy year.

Grab a cup (by Lori Watts or Shadow May perhaps), a comfy chair and have a read.

Cheers!