Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow

"The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches."

“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."

“Snow falling soundlessly in the middle of the night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity” 

“All Heaven and Earth
Flowered white obliterate...
Snow...unceasing snow” 

“I think we should model parts of the English language after the Inuits, who have 52 words for snow. Why don't we have 52 words for love? Instead, I have to rely on metaphors like, Her love was as pure as yellow snow.” 

“It snowed all week. Wheels and footsteps moved soundlessly on the street, as if the business of living continued secretly behind a pale but impenetrable curtain. In the falling quiet there was no sky or earth, only snow lifting in the wind, frosting the window glass, chilling the rooms, deadening and hushing the city. At all hours it was necessary to keep a lamp lighted, and Mrs. Miller lost track of the days: Friday was no different from Saturday and on Sunday she went to the grocery: closed, of course.” 

“Today was so cold that the wind froze my words as I spoke them and they fell silently like snow. I tried to say I love you, but I’m afraid I just muddied up the situation.” 
“When I was growing up, I’d walk to school in the snow. In Florida. Uphill all three ways.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment