Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bast Loves Me, This I Know

Yesterday The Amazing Bob and I left our snow prison to run errands. In less challenging conditions, these would have been quick, simple tasks. We’d have been back to glorious Valhalla within the hour. Not yesterday, no. After three hours of horribly thwarted, frustrating exertion (hint: the villain was the snow, the heinous, fucking, endless snow) we began our journey home.

Conveniently, happily, blessedly, relievedly, who appeared in our path? Saint Fratelli. Yup. We had no choice. He was calling to us AND there was a parking spot RIGHT BY THE DOOR! On top of that, Valentine cakes were 50% off.

Clearly Bast was looking out for us.
“I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.”
~T.S. Eliot, The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems
Or, in our case, we’ll wear slippers out to the store and our PJs stay on ‘til noon.
“Wisdom comes with winters”
~Oscar Wilde
Fine. I expect all of us will be little Einsteins, mini Akhmatovas and petite Klimts by March 20th.
“When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.”
~Mark Twain
Medizin—Klimt
Yes. True. Soon TAB and I will only recall our days under the brill rays of Kepler 444. We’d spread out picnic blankets, eat peaches, read our P.K. Dick and Kerouac paperbacks while contemplating the beauty of finely thrown junk ball and, of course, work on our tans. Ah, those were the days!
“I'm pretty sure that eating chocolate keeps wrinkles away because I have never seen a 10 year old with a Hershey bar and crows feet.”
~Amy Neftzger
I only mention it but, if it can be found, Valentine candy is, generally, 50% off now.
“I shot through my twenties like a luminous thread through a dark needle, blazing toward my destination: Nowhere.”
~Carrie Fisher, Postcards from the Edge
Christ, I love her!
“Do not deprive me of my age. I have earned it.”
~May Sarton, The Poet and the Donkey: A Novel
Indeed! You don’t need to saw us in half and count the rings—I am 56 and TAB is 73. Fer reals.
“Everyday is one less day.”
~Tom Ford
Yeah, thanks asshole, I hadn’t noticed. What a cheery fuck this fellow must be.
“And meanwhile time goes about its immemorial work of making everyone look and feel like shit.”
~Martin Amis, London Fields
Not cheery but at least Mister Amis is eloquent.

Emmmm, happy Hump Day and, remember, only 30 days until SPRING!

No comments:

Post a Comment