Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Brian's Gone

Brian Luciano died the evening of September 9th. I found out yesterday when a friend of his posted the date/time/place for his memorial service.

I’m stunned. Still. This stunned-ness may last, dunno, forever maybe.

Brian was a friend of mine. We weren’t tremendously close but still, we were kindred spirits. A thousand and one half years ago, we met when we worked for the same print company. He was always upbeat and wonderfully sarcastic. Acerbically buoyant is what he was. Fabulous, real and fun.

After being out of touch for a lot of years, he found me on Facebook. At the time, Brian was living in Australia with his husband John. Life looked pretty idyllic for our man.

And then John died. Last September. Cancer. Brian was by his side. Afterwards, he came back to Massachusetts.

The cause of Brian’s death? No clue. He never mentioned illness and I can’t find an obit anywhere. Brian was in his mid 40s. What could take him out, off this blue spinning orb at such a young age?

I want to know but not enough to ask one of his close friends. What if Brian had just lost the energy to carry on without the love of his life by his side? What if he decided to check himself out of Le Hotel Life?
I don’t want to cause pain by asking. My wish to know is unimportant compared to the grief of his close friends and family.

Brian posted his story Wild Ride on this blog. It’s in six chapters so scroll down to the bottom for chapter one. Apologies for the upside down-ness.

He also posted the tremendous tale of how he and John met, fell in love and walked off into the sunset together.

I’m shocked, sad and, pretty much, blown away by the news of Brian’s exit.

9 comments:

  1. Those are great pictures of Brian.
    I also learned about his death through Facebook.
    His friend Sean told me how he died. I can tell you, if you want to know.
    My email is samarfer@yahoo.com
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    I just found out that this post existed. Brian was my best friend for 44 years. I miss him terribly. Please contact me at terri@tarotbyterri.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,

    I just found out that this post existed. Brian was my best friend for 44 years. I miss him terribly. Please contact me at terri@tarotbyterri.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,
    I just tried to post a comment but I’m not sure if it worked. I’m going to try again so I apologize if it ends up there twice.

    Anyway, I literally just found out about Brian‘s passing through your post. You mentioned working with him at a print company… Brian and I met while working together at copy cop. He worked the overnight shift at the Waltham location before moving on to the stores downtown. Perhaps we know each other?!?! He and I were inseparable for 10+ years. We traveled together, partied together, I was with him when his mom and his boyfriend Stephen passed away... We did EVERYTHING together. On March 10, 2011, Brian and I had a falling out and hadn’t spoken since. For whatever reason, I was compelled to do a Google search for him today. Possibly to reconnect. Who knows. That’s when I came across your post and learned of Brian‘s passing. To say that I am stunned is an understatement. I am completely HEARTBROKEN and I feel like such a jerk for not knowing until now. Brian truly was an original.

    Anyway, I hate to ask this of you but would you mind terribly contacting me to let me know what happened? I would really appreciate it.

    My email address is holly.benham@comcast.net. Thank you so very much.

    Take care, Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly,

      I'm only seeing your comment now – two and a half years after you posted it! His death, so young, will never NOT be shocking.

      Delete
  5. Hello, I am one of Brian's cousins. Brian did not take his own life. You could say he died of a broken heart, maybe. He died trying to fill a void in his life. However you look at it. He died way to soon and is very much missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me. It's still stuns me that he's gone.

      Delete