Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dimestore Dialogue

gratuitous Valhalla dawn pic
The Amazing Bob and I both collected quotes – quips, witicisms, bits of stray wisdom and big, DEEP thoughts. Here are some from his collection, the book which he cheekily titled Explanations and More Cheap Talk.

I don’t know much about being a millionaire, but I’ll bet I’d be darling at it.
~ Dorothy Parker

From Chicago Poem by Lew Welch:

 You can’t fix it. You can’t make it go away.
     I don’t know what you’re going to do about it,
But I know what I’m going to do about it. I’m just
     going to walk away from it. Maybe
A small part of it will die if I’m not around

      feeding it anymore.
~~~
The poem is about the midwestern landscape's bare, unforgiving, hardness and the grinding crush of the city. Reading it this morning, I find his words applying to internal struggles, the harsh cities within myself. Rage – if I don’t feed it, if I let go, as much as I’m able, maybe a small part of it will die.

Another by Welch quote:
We invent ourselves out of ingredients we didn’t choose, by a process we can’t control.
~ Lew Welch

Close cover before striking.

Against the ruin of the world, there is only one defense—the creative act.
~ Kenneth Rexroth 

A working class hero is something to be.
~ John Lennon
And so the Red Sox threaten but do not score.
~ some Boston radio announcer

When the going gets tough the tough get going

When the tough get going, the going gets tough.
~ Peter DeVries

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
~ Raoul Duke

All men are moral. Only their neighbors are not.
                                                               ~ John Steinbeck

Batteries not included.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.
~ Kurt Vonnegut
The incomparable Ralph Steadman

Money is like junk. A dose that fixes you on a Monday, won’t fix you on a Friday.
~ William Burroughs 

A beaded silk cardigan can add a bit of glitter to any quiet outfit.
~ Bernadine Morris

Use only as directed.

This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it – that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesman with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
~ Hunter S. Thompson 
 Cause when love is gone, there’s always justice
And when justice is gone, there’s always force
And when force is gone, there’s always Mom.

Hi Mom!
~ Laurie Anderson

Poetry is a human gift.
Use it.
~ VVAW brother

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

If anything can go wrong, it will – and at the worst possible moment.
~ Murphy’s Law

Murphy was an optimist.
~ O’Tooles Commentary

Future shock occurs when you are confronted by the fact that the world you were educated to believe in doesn’t exist.
~ Postman & Weingartner 
Shake well before using

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.
~ W.B. Yeats

It’s hard to explain what Death looks like.
~ Henry Beckman

I’m not afraid to die; I just don’t want to be there when it happens.
~ Woody Allen

And, as best as I could arrange, TAB wasn’t. Yes, his body was present but his mind was in a jazz infused dreamland.

Until it wasn’t.

All sales are final.

No comments:

Post a Comment