Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Running on Empty

Exhausted Maenads after the Dance – Lawrence Alma-Tadema
Had another crazy dream last night. I was back in HR, in my Training Diva role. I was to give a new employee orientation class but I was so damn tired. Too fucking exhausted. I tried to call the different departments, talk to these newbies’ managers but all the phones were broken. I went down to the first floor to speak with the general manager but couldn't find her. The place was an astounding mess – had a whole Dresden post bombing vibe goin' on. Turns out, the new owner just wanted to change things around a bit. I spent the rest of this nightmare wandering about, trying to find friends and a way home.

I became more and more enervated with each step I took. With each breath my stone, frazzled weariness increased tenfold.

Winston was gelatinous with fatigue.
~ George Orwell, 1984

Tired, tired with nothing, tired with everything, tired with the world’s weight he had never chosen to bear.
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Beautiful and Damned 
 
There was something so heavy about the burden of history, of the past. I wasn't sure I had it in me to keep looking back.
~ Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

I'm smiled out, talked out, quipped out, socialized so far from any being, I need the weight of mortal silences to get realized back into myself.
~ John Ciardi, This Strangest Everything 

Man was made at the end of the week's work, when God was tired.
~ Mark Twain

It wasn't merely fatigue. although it continued to worry me how tired I was all the time. I had a strange sense of missing something, of being in the wrong place - no matter where I was.
~ Josh Lanyon, The Dark Tide

 Of course it is exhausting, having to reason all the time in a universe which wasn't meant to be reasonable.
~ Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Here I am I am tired I am tired of running of having to carry my life like it was a basket of eggs
~ William Faulkner, Light in August

I’ll hit the Y later this morning, after I drag my sad carcass through a shower. I’ll swim a few laps, float and then to the cardio machine room. If I’m going to be mentally drained and depleted, I may as well be physically so as well.

Running on Empty – Jackson Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment