Search This Blog

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Assorted Creams

OK no...it's assorted bits of randomosity – what's in my bean this morning. Assorted creams though – OH BABY, YES. WANT!
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had a vivid dream of Kevin last night. He was back. As it turned out, he hadn’t been dead these past 26 years. Nope, he’d been kidnapped by some unnamed, evil foreign power. Why’d they finally release him? No clue. Maybe he'd, for the last time, annoyed the croutons outta them with his caustic and creative insults. (I only mention it but Kevin's the one who taught me the fine art of imaginative verbal blistering)

He was in fine shape – more than fine. Kevin was healthy, handsome and didn’t look a day older than, at most, mid 30s. Me too actually – GREAT dream!

He wanted to take up where we left off – besties considering moving in together/getting all wedded up. In the dream I found myself thinking the timing was incredible. The Amazing Bob exits and Kevin returns? Could only be better if they were both alive together!

The dream ended with us on a couch in a sun filled studio/loft, holding, comforting each other.

What is the half life of grief?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mother and Child Reunion
Jen, Oni and I watched Alien:Resurrection again last night. I think I love that flick more with each viewing. This is the series installment where I began rooting for the aliens. The United Systems Military is breeding the dangerous, poor beings (using kidnapped human hosts! Bastards!), hoping to weaponize them. Sure sounds like something Trump would invest in, don’t it?

I really love Weaver’s near invincible, dark and amused by it all Ripley Clone 8. That she’s part alien, part human and all clone is brilliant. Winona Ryder was fab as Call the moral robot passing as human too.
The only bit of bad casting is Dan Hedaya as General Martin Perez. Hedaya’s facial expressions are too broad and way cartoonish. It’s hard to take him seriously as a cold, calculating, humanity devoid, asswipian villain. I found myself eagerly anticipating his death more because he was annoying than anything else. Now that I think of it, this is how Orange 45 fooled his fellow Republican/Tea Partiers. They viewed him as an eccentric buffoon and imagined him easily managed/manipulated. Not too bright and awfully swellheaded of that crew. Not surprising either.

The end, where Ripley’s grandchild beastie is sucked out into space is just heart-wrenching. Yup. Sure, earth is saved but this poor babe, who had yet to live a full day or kill a soul, dies an unimaginably painful death.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looks like the Science March was well attended EVERYWHERE. The entire planet is protesting our heinous president. You’d think Republicans would take a hint and tell him You’re FIRED! but no, the whole party is just as dimwitted and greedheaded. They will be the death of us all unless we reality based beings unite and get out the vote BIG in '18.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.
Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
High above the chimney tops,
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

8 comments:

  1. Good analogy about Hedaya and the orange dingbat. I thought Perez was a fun character, though, and the movie could afford a slightly comic-relief/bumbling villain since Dr. Wren had the cold/evil villain spot down pat. He was the one running the bio-weapons experiments, after all, while Perez was just providing him with lab space. Maybe Perez needed to be not quite bright enough to realize how dangerous those experiments might end up being.

    I can't really agree with Joshua Winning that it's the "ugly ducking" of the group. To me its worst issue was a few sloppy special effects (at one point you see the Earth hanging in space, and it's mirror-imaged), and that "newborn" thing was godawful, but its flaws are trivial beside Alien 3 or Prometheus.

    You're right about Weaver and Ryder. It's the Ripley-Call relationship that makes this work. Notice how Ripley never tries to harm the "newborn" until it threatens Call? I don't know whether Weaver will be up for any more action roles -- she's 67 now -- but future movies won't be the same without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, Dr. Gediman ptovided the comedy with his smooching the alien through the glass shtick and, yeah, I don't agree with Winning and his "ugly duckling" call either. The dog/alien in 3 really put that one over into Hedaya Land for me. I think that's the only one of the series that I've viewed just once. Well, I didn't see Prometheus at all.

      No, the series won't be the same without Ripley :-(

      Delete
    2. Ha, I remember that scene with Gediman! In a review I once saw, the movie critic played that scene and said "The reason we let Brad Dourif act is that we're afraid of what he might do if we didn't."

      Alien 3 doomed itself from the beginning by killing off Hicks and Newt. No fan would forgive it for trashing the emotional resolution of the ending of Aliens like that.

      Delete
    3. "The reason we let Brad Dourif act is that we're afraid of what he might do if we didn't."

      Hah! Love it. I don't remember Newt in 3. May need to see this one again after all.

      Delete
    4. She doesn't appear as a character. There's just some brief exposition that she and Hicks had died when the ship crashed.

      Delete
  2. The Alien: Resurrection director was a great French director who has also done things like "City of Lost Children" and "Amelie." The Alien film is sort of an outlier in his filmography, but has a few cool moments that maybe a more conventional directyor wouldn't have pulled off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved "Amelie" and "City of Lost Children" (both of which I need to see again)!

      Delete