Search This Blog

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Decades

I liked my 40s. It felt like I'd finally reached a more or less balanced, happy adulthood. I'm not saying that I was unhappy or even primarily unhappy in my 20s and 30s. No. They were, however, more emotionally turbulent decades. Essentially, a 20 year long, late adolescence. Yeah, OOF!

Adolescence in that I was constantly searching, exploring, navel gazing, overdoing, spinning off into the clouds and, often as not, being awkward as all hell. Mondo credit goes to all my friends who stuck around during those years; the ones who helped me survive them.

Which brings me to my 40s – a time of new, relative maturity and emotional stability. What first comes to mind are memories of The Amazing Bob and I giggling like kids – all the damn time or close to it.

Damn convenient timing – all that happy. 40 was the year that my bod got real stupid for a real long stretch.

40 saw the long anticipated second brain fry up. Taking the entire big tumor bean out that year would've been good BUT then I'd be deaf. My absolutely brill docs were balancing tumor-free yummyness with me getting more mileage out of the old auditory system. Their decision gave me six more music packed years.

At 43 I was diagnosed with a nasty-ass back leviathan which threatened to steal my legs and all sensation from the tits down (but didn't thanks to the awesome Doc Barker!)

In my 44th I began an experimental 'round of radiation that was supposed to, potentially, shrink the tumor fragments and preserve my hearing. Didn't work AND I was severely nauseous for more than a year. Wheee!

And then, at 46, I had the, finally unavoidable, operation that took my hearing.

Seems wickedly depressing, no? Yes, of course. And no. TAB and I goofed and giggled our way through it all. On one of the big surgery days, suited up in spectacular johnny finery and waiting to be rolled out from the pre-op wings – Jen, Oni, TAB and Celeste were snug around the bed jawing take-her-mind-off-her-fear randomness.
And then, of a sudden, TAB and I both spied a large box of plastic exam gloves just sitting out, unguarded...vulnerable and everything. Why'd this catch our eyes? At the time I was doing a lot of glaze chemistry. I had to wear gloves when I mixed up the medicine and these, versus dish washing gloves, were the best, most appropriate for the job. *PING* Grinning madly, clearly thinking the same devilish thing, he opened my bag and I threw in the goods. We fell into a wild giggle fit which, at first, worried Jen, Oni and Celeste. Has fear driven them 'round the bend? Ah no. When the going got tough, TAB and I always got silly. That was our thing. If we gotta live through scary bad shit, let's at least have some damn fun with it. Sheesh!

J, O and C caught on. The five of us became a wee crime family. We would've cleaned the pre-op exam cube out (tissues, we need those, right? What's this doohickey? Anyone need this?) but the nurses came in to check on us – apparently all the laughter was.....emmm.......possibly disruptive to the others awaiting surgery. Huh. OK.

And then I got my OR stage call. As though I was leaving on a cruise ship, still wiping laughter tears away, we all waved bye-bye as the nurse wheeled me away into the unknown.

10 comments:

  1. I'm about halfway through my forties, and so far, they've been good. Not incredibly eventful, by any biographical measure, but I don't mentally torture myself anymore, for the most part.

    Yours, on the other hand, sound as though they were very eventful. But we should all try and make cool memories from the events we're handed, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always sorta surprises me that my 40s were so happy, so much fun but they were. I wonder how I'll look back on this eventful, hard decade.

      Delete
  2. I neglected to thank you for recent compliment. Perhaps I can do so by extending the same. That last paragraph packs a punch.

    I was raising four kids alone working my way through college and university. Thoroughly enjoyed it, best days of my life (though I suppose I could have capitalized on the female attention I was apparently oblivious to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molto grazie, dude!

      Your forties sound way exciting too. Any kids left at home? Not capitalizing on the female attention – big smile. I only mention it but as a studious, good single father, it's amazing you weren't carried off by mobs of wowed babes. Those two elements being mondo turn ons for us females of the species.

      Delete
    2. In the neighborhood. Most days I've at least one grand kid in the house, and g-g'pa.

      I can see it now that my son is a single dad: I'm like "did you see that?" and my daughter is like lol.

      Delete
    3. Beautiful! Is g-g'pa your father?

      My grands will be here for a couple days (down from Upstate NY) this next week. Psyched!

      Delete
  3. My ex father-in-law, sort of. His daughter and I never married. Eighty-five and not quite Alzheimered. Someone has to look out for him.

    Several years ago when faced with the reality of divorce spanning three generations, four if you look at the effects both on the divorcee and their (our) offspring, four generations plagued with Alzheimer's/ADHD/Autism, we have by necessity redefined "family". My ex is more like sister I don't really like (and whose boyfriends are very polite), but the oldest g-daughter lives with her while the eldest g-son lives with me and their baby sister is here for day-care everyday; and on any given day there are any number of other grandkids, nieces, nephews and kissing cousins underfoot. Which in turn carries forward a sense of the family history while keeping g-g'pa sparked up enough to keep him out of "the home". and in the house he was born and lived his whole life in. You could call us a "nuclear family" if you count the house, with g-g'pa and I the nuculi, with twenty or so satellite households spiraling out across the high desert.

    It's a defense mechanism. I often headline blog posts with "been through five booms and four busts here"... the next bust will introduce the credit card rich white trash that have moved here of late and turned my hometown into a cross between Aspen, Santa Barbara and New York City why in 1970 National Geographic named us "poverty with a view."

    The NAZIs are thick around here, with there khaki slacks and button down polos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: family -- it's not who we're biologically related to (or not JUST that) but who we love and who we can stand and vice versa. Marriage -- Bob and I were a matched set for 15 years before we got hitched (which we only did so's he could get on my health insurance plan). Your "nuclear family" sounds beautiful and it's mega wonderful g-g'pa has you. Also real glad the ex's beaus are civilized! How old is your g-son?

      Very sorry about the Nazi and rich jerkwad infestation. All that khaki...//shudder//. Have you tried setting out traps or poison? Do you remember when Aspen got so ultra posh that the poor folks who'd take the shit coffee server, (etc.) gigs weren't there to serve anymore? Couldn't afford the rents and the jobs didn't pay enough to make a commute possible. HAH!

      Delete
  4. That's exactly how it is around here (with notable exception) most of those who "service" the newcomers are forced to live in towns up to forty miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful! I hope to Christ the pay and tips are worth it.

      Delete