Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Recluse Reveries

I could so be a hermit.

No, not a cookie  type hermit (but, hmmmm). I could be one of those mysterious old women, always swathed in a thousand baggy sweaters, only glimpsed when I'm out feeding stray cats or on my rare, alien trips to the grocery.

What’s conjuring my solitarian fantasies this time?

I’m just back from a visit with Helen en famiglia in Hoosick Falls. GodDAMN this is a magnificently beautiful, pastoral patch of the planet. Yesterday morning we drove out to the Moses Farm for apple pies, fresh veggies and some solid pumpkin picking. The farther away we got from the tiny town, the deeper into woods and farmland we plunged, the more magical it all became.

The trees are green, green, green right now with hints of russet here and there. The hills rolled, corn was high and the sky a brilliant, cloudless cerulean blue. Every now and then we’d pass a cottage, tucked behind beautiful, tall hickory, black walnut and birch trees. I wondered, what would it be like to live here, off in the middle of woods and farms. The town names seem like they’re fresh out of fairy tales – Walloomsac, Eagle Bridge, Petersburg, Pumpkin Hook!

I'm imagining the brill solitude – the fabulous peace of nothing but gorgeous mountains, trees, streams – nature – all around. I'd paint, read, write, chat with Coco and sit outside watching the sun filter through the trees. In winter I'll build a fire (there must be a fireplace!) and watch the snow fall on the mountains.

There’s an old, one room school house for sale in Eagle Bridge. It’s 672 square feet (plenty of room for me and Coco!), on an acre and a quarter. The asking price is just $69,000. Zillow didn’t have any pics of the interior and I can’t tell what shape it’s in but I wanna have a look see. No, even if it’s in perfect shape, I can’t buy it. Even if I could conscience spending the dough (not just the asking price but the yearly taxes, heat, water, upkeep and repair bills), the joint’s nearly four hours away from Valhalla. How often, realistically, would I get up there?

Still, I want a live, in person tour for no other reason than to feed my imagination.

And, OK yeah, I would suck BIG time as a recluse. I know that. I like my alone time but not all the damn time. I really do like people. Honest! Also too, I’d miss Jen, Oni and the damn ocean. We’re besties, don’cha know.

No comments:

Post a Comment