Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Confession

Sometimes, when a stranger approaches me on the street, talks at me, asks me something – whatever – I respond with "I'm deaf. I don't know what you're saying” and then I go back to what I was doing (in yesterday’s instance, I was feeding the parking meter). The talker is dimissed.

What my brusque oratory translates as is this: "I'm too busy/tired/rushed to attempt the not easy task of reading your lips. You're a stranger to me so I'm wholly unfamiliar with how your face/lips look when you're saying specific words. This is a great big, goddamned challenge for me and I'm not up for it at the moment."

The sitch plays out differently if the person comes back at me with a smile and an attempt to meet in the middle by:
  • showing me what they might be asking about (pointing to the parking meter and making a questioning face, fer instance) OR
  • whipping out a pen and writing shit down OR
  • simply speaking slower and enunciating OR
  • looking confused and all Help me, Help me, like that one evening back in Cambridge.
Gimme a little ground and, man-o-man, I’ll take the time, make the effort.

Often as not, the strangers are survey takers or new product sample pushers – not folks I’d stop for even back in my full sound system days. Tuesday’s talker was probably/maybe asking about the parking meters How’s this shit work, now? Her response to my “I’m deaf…” spiel was to repeat what she’d said – same enunciation, same exact rapid recitation. In fact, she even looked annoyed with me.
Oh, gosh. I’m sorry, is my being deaf a fucking inconvenience for you?
I repeated my lines, gave her my backside and went back to dealing with the meter. Yeah, I felt a bit guilty, like I’d been rude and should’ve taken the time to try and assist her. I also felt she was damn lucky I didn’t break out my next line (only used on the most imperiously obtuse), "Deaf – it's an adjective meaning unable to hear, lacking a sense of hearing. This means that you can repeat what you've said a zillion more times and I still won't hear you." I generally voice this in icy, Jane-you-ignorant-slut, disdain tones.

I do totes realize that a lot of folks have never met or otherwise encountered a deaf person. The stunned communicators are confused and not, for whatever reason, nimbly resourceful. They just don’t know what to do/how to cope with someone who doesn't understand their language. I can help.

Still, I’m just not always up for an on-the-fly, mini master class on how to successfully communicate with a deaf person. AND, I imagine that not all of these people are interested in learning or having a new cultural experience.

Also, just FYI and shit, the next person who, upon hearing I'm deaf, lickety split asks/says You read lips though, I may slap silly. At least.

2 comments:

  1. A couple three years ago I was runnin' the river (in a drift boat) once a week to stock the toilet paper in the BLM outhouses not otherwise accessable. Nice trip, fifty miles, eight, sometimes nine hours. I'm headed home one afternoon and stop at the rest area at the top of the hill to smoke a bowl, sitting there listening to Linda Rondstat sing Mariachi, boat on the trailer hooked up to the back of the truck and tourorist walks and asks somethin about floating the river... and all I could say was "no hable englass".

    Still laughing about that.

    ReplyDelete