Search This Blog

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Black Market Boston

I never shop on the day after Thanksgiving. Not ever. The idea of being trapped within hyped up, gotta-grab-that-bargain-and-spend-money-NOW crowds, gives me the rockin' demophobia and the boogie woogie agitata. I can’t even bear the benign mobs at the grocery store.

Yesterday though, Jen and I decided to brave the hordes and hit Black Market over in Roxbury. All the goods – clothing, soaps, body lotions, art, jewelry and more are made by hand by local artisans. You may recall my yearly rant – if you're going to buy prezzies, buy handmade and local (whenever possible). Boost your local makers and economy, dammit!

Black Market features a couple different clothing designers and I was having serious swoon fits over some of the magnificent, bright, beautiful frocks. Reality was the only thing keeping me from putting skid marks on my credit card.

Huh??? What's this reality shit? I don’t dress up anymore. Working from home and hanging at the local pubs and movie emporiums doesn’t exactly necessitate fancy duds. I go to museums and galleries but that’s during the day – not for gala openings. Where would I wear these brill raiments?
In the depths of my closet, a couple spiffy, luxe (now antique?) outfits already dwell. Rilly. Given my low maintainence, caszh life, buying new would feel all spendthriftily extravagant.

Still, Stanley Rameau’s brilliant, billowing designs called to me…loudly. I may return (Black Market is open through Sunday) and splurge on a pair of his resplendent trousers.

I didn’t walk outta the place empty handed – goodness no!
Natasha Williams of Natasha’s Homemade Organic Body Butter had the MOST amazing butters. I snagged a pot of orange blossom verbena and one of mango kiwi. Damn, my skin's gonna make it through the dry, dry winter all soft and awesomely scented. mmmm.

Lorraine Gatora of Kanga’s Closet  makes the most fab necklaces – like wide collars. Gorgeous. I would have taken a couple home but I don’t wear the necklaces I already have. Jen and I both picked up sweet, funky earrings though. 

Royletta Romain of lularoeroeromain had a wide selection of warm, gorgeously patterned leggings. I’m pretty sure I need to go back and pick up another pair or two.

Cagen Luse of 950 Design had some very fun Ts and more.

And I brought home a bar of lemongrass soap made by Nissi Natural Hair and Skin Care.

Possibly my fave find yesterday came from a small, crowded with gorgeous goods, clothing shop near Black Market. Jen and I had gotten to Dudley Square early, before the Market opened and just had to get outta the cold. I saw this – my new chapeau – in the window and had to zoom in.

My eyes have become mega light sensitive over the years so I need a lid. Ball caps provide perfect shade. Plus they’re small and flex enough to wad up and stuff in my bag when I get indoors. Problem, I’m not a sports fan – I really wouldn’t wear a Sox cap. Nope. Most other caps are beyond dull or just cringingly twee. There are plain color caps but, c'mon, how boring! THIS one, however, is perfect and, better yet, it matches my sneaks.

So, mon ami, if you're in the Boston area this weekend, swing by Black Market – it's fabola!

No comments:

Post a Comment