Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2017

The Book Nook

Coco, of course, in front of a painting done by Kevin (in college)
From The Guardian’s Bad sex award 2017 shortlist:
The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet

    He puts his hands on Bianca’s shoulders and slips off her low-cut top. Suddenly inspired, he whispers into her ear, as if to himself: ‘I desire the landscape that is enveloped in this woman, a landscape I do not know but that I can feel, and until I have unfolded that landscape, I will not be happy …’

    Bianca shivers with pleasure. Simon whispers to her with an authority that he has never felt before: ‘Let’s construct an assemblage.’
This could be hilarious and a stone turn on but only if Simon’s trying to be funny with his WAY over the top palaver. Yes, I do sincerely believe that sex is a great time for silliness and laughter. We’re there, we’re doing it to have fun…right? Fun isn’t one dimensional, don’cha know.
~~~
This meme. If the bottom tout were true, I’d be a sci fi expert many times over. Would love to know where the memester got his/her figures. Also, they talk about books purchased versus borrowed from the local public library or downloaded FREE via the intertoobz.

Free, free, FREE books are available at:
Goodreads They link to popular, contemporary reads.
Gutenberg has The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Mark Twain and a whole fuck-ton more.
There’s BookLending.com, a website which matches lenders and borrowers of Kindle ebooks.
And MIT has the Science Fiction Society
The world's largest public open-shelf collection of science fiction is the MITSFS Library. Our database of books can be searched here. We have both science fiction and fantasy, including sf horror; our collection includes magazines, some foreign-language material and science-fiction related books as well.

Anyone can come and browse whenever the Library is open (see the schedule), and members can borrow from our circulating section. Membership is open to anyone.
 I used to live a short ten minute walk from the MIT campus – WHY didn’t I know about this then?!

I found some bits in the Pew Research post, Who doesn’t read books in America? Their results are similar-ish to the meme. Similarly depressing.
About a quarter of American adults (26%) say they haven’t read a book in whole or in part in the past year, whether in print, electronic or audio form
Related, sort of, at right is my new reading corner. I set this up at the side of my bed. Why? I like reading in my bedroom, especially now that I’ve rearranged, making the joint way more softly cozified. I wanted to create somewhere else, besides my comfy cot, to curl up for getting lost in a good book time. I’m afraid that spending so much of my time in bed – working, reading and whatevs – is banjaxing my Morpheus time.

This soft corner’s creation was mostly about healthier snooze time BUT, I love this little snug – under the eves, right by the window to the bay, the sea. Win/win and shit.

Also too, that book in my nook? It's What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe AKA XKCD. He writes XKCD, the absolutely brill webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. The science and math would be seriously over my head BUT Munroe explains things in non-jargony plain English so I'm able to follow and understand. Also, there are drawings. Loving this!

No comments:

Post a Comment