Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2017

National

I hit the National Gallery on one of my Dublin days. Ostensibly, I was there to see the show of Frederic William Burton paintings. He’s, generally, in the same camp as Edward Burne-Jones with, mebbe, a bit of Ruskin thrown in for good measure – a Romantic. The painting, at right, Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs, is what propelled me through the Gallery doors. Dreamy and so Arthurian.

Sadly, with precious few exception, this was a show of dull formal portraits and not terribly interesting landscapes.
What I found piquing about Burton’s work was this – his very detailed, realistic portraiture and landscapes were done in watercolor and graphite. They had an airy sort of feel and yet each strand of hair, the shading and folds of patterned cloth – all of it, had a solid, real feel. I was impressed to the nines by his amazing, brill technique, his skill.

I really liked the ultra romantic H and H (done in oils) but the rest of his work was, for me, engaging solely due to his skill with the medium. Sort of like being impressed that a kazoo player can knock out a creditable rendition of Flight of the Bumble Bee.

Burne-Jones’ Sleeping Beauty was on display, underscoring the stone mundanity of most of the exhibit.

In another hall, the Hennessy Portrait Prize exhibit was up. The show was fresh and fun AND Cian McLoughlin has a piece in there. Why he didn’t win is miles and miles beyond my ken. Jack Hickey’s photorealistic painting My Time took the prize. He’s got stratospheric chops but…eh, apart for that, I didn’t really get the buzz.

I was more moved by Kyle Barnes' Listening, Gordon Harris’ Kid’s Canvas and Myra Jago’s Reflection. McLoughlin’s Tronie (Woman Leaning Forward), at right, nailed me a thousand times over. This is what portraiture is about – telling a story, conveying an essence, not just straight up representation.

Photorealism is grand in the same way that Burton’s mondo prowess with watercolor and graphite is impressive. Yes, that’s some stellar skill but, ya know, what else ya got? Where’s the soul of the machine?

Down other halls I found room after room of dull Renaissance to Neoclassicist canvases. Zzzzzzzzzz. I’m sure there are brill gems in there but I’d need a map and a miner’s helmet to find them amongst all the major tediosity.

I did come across this fab baby, at left – Shield with Head of Medusa, done in the 17th century. No artist name noted. Too bad.

I'd like to spend more time at the National, I'm sure I missed a lot. Maybe next visit will be with Jen and we'll stay at the art-packed Dean! Oh and we'll hit Dublin's Museum of Modern Art too. After that we'll take the ferry over to Wales and just wander. I like this idea.

Art and life are subjective. Not everybody's gonna dig what I dig, but I reserve the right to dig it.
~ Whoopi Goldberg

The Ultimate Rule ought to be: 'If it sounds (looks) GOOD to you, it's bitchin'; if it sounds (looks) BAD to YOU, it's shitty. The more your musical (art) experience, the easier it is to define for yourself what you like and what you don't like.
~ Frank Zappa

All tastes are expressions of belief.
~ Zadie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment