Search This Blog

Sunday, February 4, 2018

There were ghosts


Yesterday Craig and Sara came into town, down here to Fisherman’s Wharf, to meet me. We drove to the North Beach neighborhood and walked and gloriously walked up to Massawa, a fabulous, modest and homey Ethiopian restaurant. This was a real treat – I haven’t had Ethiopian in eons.

From there we footed the few blocks to City Lights. I’d thought I’d make this pilgrimage on Monday before my exit, stage East, but, well, we were RIGHT there.

I had to screw up my courage, my soul before crossing the threshold. After all, I was entering The Amazing Bob’s poetry mecca. Seemed profoundly appropriate, augury-ish even, that with Beat Valhalla in view, we passed this street sign (at left). Grant being TAB's last name. OK, I also passed a sign for topless condors so...um...let's not read too much into things, Donna...K?

If there was any way to get TAB, his crushed disks and stone homebody self, out, on a plane and travelling, THIS is where we’d have been. We’d sit in corners up in the second floor poetry room, engrossed in all the outta this world, home-of-our-hearts volumes of verse.

Afterward, carrying sacks of found and snagged wonderment, we’d cross the alley to Vesuvio’s. TAB would have a ginger ale to my red wine. We’d sit in that snug niche, just inside the door, sipping and reading. We’d share excellent riffs – declaim whole poems to each other ('cause the WHOLE DAMN PIECE is brill!). Our heads would be at burst-point from the incredible, epic word art.

I managed to leave City Lights yesterday with just four prizes (have to schlep them home in my small backpack don’cha know). The goods? Gasoline by Gregory Corso, The Poetry Deal by Diane di Prima, Heaven is All Goodbyes by Tongo Eisen-Martin  and A Far Rockaway of the Heart by Ferlinghetti.

I couldn’t find any Lenore Kandel. Ever since TAB dropped her name, 32 years ago, I’ve been looking for her. So far all I got’s a Wikipedia entry. Kandel's just GOT to be somewhere!

I am SO motherfucking glad we went but, at the same time, it was hard. I kept pulling out my tiny phone to text my Poetry Man – Hunny! I just found THIS! Baby Wonder Beast, you'll never guess what I'm bringing home to you! Jesus, I think I just had an art orgasm!

Yup, I was drained and had to get back to the hotel. Craig and Sara were wonderfully supportive. Jenny and Michal too. I have THE best pals, EVAH!



No comments:

Post a Comment