Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Got To Go 'Round

Frustration is an interesting emotional state, because it tends to bring out the worst in whoever is frustrated. Frustrated babies tend to throw food and make a mess. Frustrated citizens tend to execute kings and queens and make a democracy. And frustrated moths tend to bang up against lightbulbs and make light fixtures all dusty.
~ Lemony Snicket, The Wide Window
I’m making a rock solid effort to remain calm, focused and open to ideas/solutions on this flute playing goal, this recapturing. I continue to struggle madly with being able to consistently get a sound outta the thing. I’ve just twice, in these past five days, been able to play a C scale. I’m attempting mega awareness of what I’m doing. I want to know and remember how my wonky lips feel when I achieve a note. That way, I figure, I can do it again. Problem – what seems to be the ticket on one occasion does NOT necessarily work the next.

Hi, my name is Donna and I am blindingly frustrated.

To chill myself out and continue on Take Back Music Road, I'm moving ahead into Celloville. I stopped into The E String here in town. They rent, sell and repair instruments. They also have a pile of biz cards for folks who teach private lessons. There was only one person who specifically teaches cello (to the dozens of violin/viola instructors) and no email address.
                                                         HMMPH!
There are a few small music schools here in Quincy but, so far, none have responded to my emails. I fully realize that I’m an odd challenge – deaf, older chick and all – but shit, wouldn’t I be a fun challenge for someone?

I believe I’m gonna go ahead, rent the beast and buy one of those Teach Yurself books.

Deryn Cullen at The Cello Companion asks Can Cello Really be Self-Taught?
I don’t deny that certain instruments have a long list of outstanding self-taught players. It is more than possible to teach oneself to play an instrument and even take that skill to a professional level. However, I don’t believe that certain instruments – particularly the violin, the viola or the cello – lend themselves at all well to self instruction.
She also sez:
Many might argue that drawing the bow across the string to make a passable sound is also playing.
Look, I don’t know where this journey, this adventure will lead me. I don’t in any way expect to be playing Elgar’s Concerto in E minor with the New York Philharmonic next year, the year after or EVAH but, ya know, there’s a LOT that I, potentially, CAN play…like scales. Meditative walks up and down the staff.

I’ll never know until I try.

Also too, diving into Cello Land does not mean that I’m giving up on the flute. Nope, I’m just widening my hunt for the wild music beast.
Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning do to do afterward.
~ Kurt Vonnegut
Spinning Wheel – Blood, Sweat and Tears

No comments:

Post a Comment