Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

Monday Cogitation

The job I have now, my current, loooong running freelance gig, may be winding down.

I got this fab sitch purely by chance. A woman I used to work with, who liked me, respected my abilities (layout/design) and was fine with my limitations (deaf, can’t work full time and, when she tapped me, I had to labor from home so I could be here to take care of The Amazing Bob). She brought me on board. It was perfect for me and worked well for her.

Here I am, five years down the line, 60 years old and it looks like, not now, now but maybe soonly (?), I'll need a new gig. I have no idea how to go about finding something similar. I'd like to continue working remotely. I gotta be part-time and setting my own hours is preferred.

It’d be awesome plus if I could just get Tell Me A Story to pay off (I’m here every day anyway!) but, I tried – no dice. Blogger has a dealio with running google ads BUT I just don’t get the traffic levels needed to see a pay-off. I could sell ads but that would involve me becoming a sales-weasel, worrying about my advertisers' ROI and shit (not appealing my friends, not at all). Why, oh motherfucking WHY, am I NOT The Bloggess?!

Oh but I CAN take a page from her success story and sell some of my wares. Like fer instance… T-SHIRTS!

For my recent big, big birthday, Jen took one of my doodles and emblazoned it across a cute colorful T or two or three. It’s MEGA awesome! I rilly like it a whole mega LOT.

So then, what about you? Don’t you need an Anti-Social Social Club T or maybe a cute Adorbo Dragon or a Monster King? Maybe a flying teacup?

I’m still percolating on this. Gotta get with Jen to see about pricing BUT I’m thinking $25 ought to cover one shirt plus printing.

Waddya think?

4 comments:

  1. There were times, a few years back, when i know I put more thought and effort into my blog than I put into my job. I have thought about how I could profit from it and have determined, well, I can't, especially now that I'm way more laid back about when and what I post.

    I'm always up to buying t-shirts to remind me of different points in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've GOT to figure out PayPal.

      I think people like the Bloggess are the exception not the rule *sigh*

      Delete
  2. I sold ads at my place for about three days, right up till I opened it up one morning to advertisement for Sarah Palin's book Going Rouge (I kid you not), that was the end of it. I did for a while publish to a couple webzines, but they paid just as about as well as publishing to the local "alt-weekly", or my talk-show on community radio.

    There was a time when I was posting ten posts a day. Laid back is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laid back IS better. Plus, I fear I'd start writing to please the ad buyers instead of myself. Naaah, wouldn't happen but I know I'd feel this pressure – as though it's expected.

      Do NOT need the extra aggro.

      Delete