Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

A Room of My Own

Wow! Second night (IN A ROW!) of great sleep. I could seriously get used to this and fast.

I even had a couple not unpleasant dreams. In one, I was back at the print shop I’d labored at for eons BUT this time I had an office upstairs. No windows but it was a big room, all my own. Heavenly amounts of space. PLUS, the Powers That Be even gave me a very nice, competent, NOT overly talkative receptionist/gofer.

Later, as I was settling in, the P.T.B. told me that a Field Sales Rep (who, here in Wakey Wakey World, I’d known and more or less liked apart from her hideously execrable taste in men) was rejoining the print team and would be moving into my office. I didn't mind – I was actually thrilled. Kathleen'd be fab company and, besides, wouldn't be there much since she was supposed to be out on the road visiting clients. Perfect!

Then, magically, my desk morphed into a big, BIG comfy bed with crisp soft sheets, a fluffy, colorful duvet and I was in my jammies. Yup, MORE workplace abso-perfectness.

It strikes me funny that I was so cheery about working with people again. I’ve been pretty damn content with my current hermit-ish set up. I’m nicely insulated – rarely have to directly communicate with a customer so I almost never need to wield my great sword of diplomacy. Just FYI, that fucker's wicked heavy!

BONUS: no commute and I can work in my ultra comfy pjs.

Is the dream telling me that I’m ready for a change? Would the lovely, much evolved speech to text apps make working live and in person with PEOPLE less exhausting? Possibly even fun?

An aside: When I speak the word people, I always hear Roy Batty reporting to Pris that, when on a reconnaissance run, he’d seen PEE-PUL – spoken in both disdainful and scared crapless tones. This is immediately followed by:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Weirdly over identify much, Donna? Mebbe I just need to socialize a bit more – spend more face to face people time with folks besides Jen, Oni and Ten?  Hey, it COULD happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment