Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2018

This Spinning Orb

Seasons are def changing. Coco’s back upstairs in the too hot or too ACd in summer months, bedroom. She’s back in her high castle carrying out her very serious world watching repsonsibilities.

Our precious princess takes breaks, coming down for naps on her muted moss colored, velour throw at the foot of our bed. She paces herself.

Yesterday she made a nest of the unmade bed and was NOT thrilled about my efforts to change out the bedding.

Now then, there’s something extra-special magical about crisp, clean sheets and a fresh duvet on the bed on a cool, late September evening. Grabbing my latest ripping space opera and crawling under that mint bedding at 6PM was deeply, ultra tempting.

I didn’t do it. Why not? For starters, I’m fresh outta grab-me-by-the-bean levels of engaging reading matter.

I picked up Ellen Klages’s book Wicked Wonders based solely on the into by Karen Joy Fowler. Ms. Fowler told a brief, brill tale of a travel they’d had — I was hooked. They sounded like exciting babes on a mission to enjoy the universe. Oh YEAH mes amies – I AM there!

Sadly, so far, Klages’s stories concern young children in a mundane world, coping with LIFE. There's only a hint of the fantastic. The writing is beautiful, dream inspiring, lyric but based on the fabola intro, I’d expected tales of adventuring women not kiddles enduring the dull adult world.

So, I’ll set this aside for now. Her wordsmithing is gorgeous – just not where I'm at right now.

My friend Rose has recommended Jodi Taylor’s series The Chronicles of St Mary’s.
Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.
But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting. 
Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria.
For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake. (source)
Yes, I see a bookstore trip in my very near future.

Also a certainty for today, a trip to my local magical elixir emporium. The cool temps and chill wind inspire a deep yen for whiskey. But what kind? Irish? If so, will I go for my old fave – Jameson’s – or will I go with last year’s tree-mendous discovery (and the saving grace of my banjaxed vaca), Slane?

MAYbe, quite likely, I'll spring for a bottle of ten year old Glenmorangie. Ya know, get my Scots on and shit. Did you know (I didn't) that:
Glenmorangie’s American white oak casks are only ever used twice, taking ten years to enrich every drop of Glenmorangie Original with smooth flavours and a golden hue. Now, they have been reinvented: Glenmorangie has teamed up with Grain Surfboards (of York, Maine!) to craft a series of limited-edition, high-performance boards from their reclaimed wooden staves. (source)
Whoa! TOO awesome!
The Cool, Cool River – Paul Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment