Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Travel in the Age of the Troll-handed Buffoon

An Inis Mór cliff fort
Overseas travel in this age of mindshittingly stupid and insane Repub/Fascist rule, with their standard bearer, the obvs mentally cracked, golf addicted, sexual assaulter and suck-up to murderous dictators feels …emmm…dicey.

Will we, even those of us in the resistance, be held responsible for the tyrannical mortal sins of Preznint Despotic Reptilian Smelly Asshole? I wouldn’t blame a soul  for faulting any and all of us.

Why?  We’ve been a lazy-ass bunch of citizens. For a bazillion and one half years, Dems haven’t shown up in force for the mid term elections while the Repub/Fscists have. With the R/F’s bought and paid for shills, their mega phone wielding puppets, theiy’ve stoked the already present fears and hatreds of the blindingly, sheep-witted of our sad, divided country. The lies and outrageous snot-twaddledom confirms all their delusional, ill-informed emotionalism.

Berlin Wall circa 1993
The Repub/Fascist brainwashing machine’s so good they’ve even managed to brainwash otherwise intelligent folk on the Left. I’m consistently amazed to read Shoutyface posts from Dem-voting, NOT otherwise half-witted people, ringing the same bells of horseshit as the so-called “right.”

Now then, tourists of the less open to the divergent, wondrous marvels of other cultures BUT still want to “experience" Western AND Eastern Europe, India, China, etc. should look for the safe-for-the-unadventurous-and-closed-minded Americanized versions. I recommend Disney World/Land – whatever the fuck it’s called.

Now then, I’ve certainly been guilty of gustatory bullshit whilst out and about BUT this has a hella-lot more to do with me being a vegetarian (having now, mostly, given up fish). In Italy, fishies comes to the table whole – i can’t bear those dead eyes. Dissecting Floyd (YES, I named him) felt like I was performing an autopsy. Prawns? They’re tasty as all bloody hell but, fer fuck’s sake, they look like giant insects and, despite that, I named them  (Jules and Jim) and wanted to bring them home as pets (‘cept they were all dead and shit).

My finest hour of NOT being the ugly American was in Poland (Krakow). I stopped in at some charming little café and found that the menu was only in Polish, Russian and Hungarian. Well, fuck me, what’s a babe to do? The waiter came’round and I just pointed at something. It was a stew and probably had meat in it (I hadn’t gone veg at that point) AND it was the finest, most delicious stew I’ve EVER had.

Jen and I will be back in Iceland in February. We’ll mostly be floating in Silica’s brill, quiet lagoon. I believe, given my tendency to rant about the idiocies of our beleaguered country (Donna, YOU!? No, rilly), we'll be AOK. For food? Dunno but I’m up for a surprise.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.
~ Gustav Flaubert.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
~ Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad / Roughing It

2 comments:

  1. The reaction Americans get overseas probably depends on the country. People who live under authoritarian regimes are less likely to assume that the US government really represents any random American they meet. They know their own government doesn't represent them. Even though the US is a democracy, people in places like the Middle East tend to be familiar with how such systems can fall short (Iran has real elections for a lot of offices, but the government is still run by theocrats most people despise).

    I've found that knowing some of the local language -- or more than just some, if possible -- makes a positive impression. It's surprising how many Americans won't learn even a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re language: OH YEAH, that's for damn sure!!!!

      I've no interest in visiting the Middle East BUT Columbia, Brazil Peru, and Peru are calling my name. Must brush up on Spanish!

      I was in Amsterdam on the day Bush II's war got going. The B&B proprietors politely asked what I thought of it. boyhowdy, they got a raging this is SO fucked up earful. (I'm hard to stop once I get going) They had genuine, appreciative smiles on throughout. I felt more relaxed after that 😊

      Delete