Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

As Usual


I overdid it yetsterday. I had work, mega errands to run AND my first real day of rehab (last week’s appointment was just for eval). I thought I was gonna be AOK but no. This morning I'm in Back Pain City. Good thing Nurses Coco AND Jen are on the job! Coco's laying on my lap purring (so's I CAN'T move and aggravate my barkin' back) and Jen just brought over brekkie. SUCH luxury!

About Nurse Coco – It’s winter so she can generally be found in her high castle (lined with The Amazing Bob’s old Polartec vest). Yes, it looks like a tight squeeze up there but, like all cats she’s able to curl herself into an ouroborosian bracelet and voilĂ , perfect fit.

In addition to TAB’s toasty thermal vests, our girl is real keen on his heavy, sherpa-lined hoodie AND my new wool sweater. If I put hoodie or sweater down on the bed, within hours (at most) they become hers. It’s indisputable. I’d like my sweater back but,,,ya know, she can’t be shifted. I have a fabulous, fluffy, fleecy wrap, it’s sweater-ish, right? She’s nae interested. Spare fuzzy blankets? Nope. Freshly folded laundry?

Ya’d think that’d be the cozy warmth equivalent of catnip, right? Nopereeno.

The girl has very specific tastes in both bedding and food.

I ran out of her Fancy Feast yesterday so she got people tuna for supper. Cool right?  Yeah sure, but this morning she was all, Meh, I’m SO over tuna. Hmmph.

Now, in the morning, if she’s not already chillin’ on my previously sleeping self, she’ll be in her royal aerie, sitting up, patiently waiting for me to carry her aristo-ass downstairs for brekkie.
Side bit: Carrying cats – it's what I do. When your happy Valhallan’s lived in that bedraggled East Cambridge triple decker, TAB and I were temporarily cat-less. I know, THE HORRAH! It was OK though. Jen and Oni were right upstairs with Thelma and Rosie. Often we’d leave our doors open so the old girls could shuttle between our apartments at will. Ya know, they’d need to check out which pad had better treats or was best able to sit and cat cosset OR leave them the fuck alone so's they could meditate on dust motes and shit. Yep, the two of them had it made. Rosie, in particular, had me in her thrall. She knew a total cat doormat when she saw one.
 Don’t we ALL deserve to be spoiled just a teensy bit, here and there?

The answer? Yes. Yes we do. (‘cept for the Trump Crime Family – they’ve all already been indulged to the point of putrid decay)

Jen’s been pampering the ever livin’ crap outta me (always but especially) during this year’s eye surgery-a-thon and the back recovery. Lately, because I’m the Empress of Overdoing It, I’m often in bed, on the heating pad, reading when she gets home from work. She comes over with a glass ‘o’ the grape OR a hot toddy (SUCH hedonistic bliss!) and we talk about our respective days, cats, upcoming hols and our plans for world domination. Of course.

I only mention it BUT a lucky old broad (me fer instance) could get used to this real fast.

2 comments:

  1. I've only had a cat for a year (as of next week) and I haven't been sick or indisposed during that time, so I don't know how he'll react when I am. I do have a couple chairs in my room, and he goes from chair to chair depending on which one I left last, presumably because it's the warmer of the two.

    Having two cats around to keep an eye on you sounds like a stroke of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally aware of the rep cats have for being aloof but I've never had a cat like that...ever.

      Two cats are GREAT as long as they get along to at least a small degree. Thelma and Rosie tolerated each other but we're def not buddies.

      Delete