Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2019

V-Day Dreaming

Me and Jim Dine Hearts in front of the Montreal art museum
A heart from my grand, Julianna
It’s Valentines Day. As I’ve gotten older, I find that I’m less knee jerk inclined to grouse about this being nothing more than a Hallmark holiday.Yes, it is BUT a little happy celebration in dark, snowy February is never a bad thing. Ya know?!

My Valentine, Ten, is 3,000 miles away BUT I’ll see him next month. Long distance amour – boyhowdy that’s a Patience Teacher.

Jen, Oni and I will observe the day by making dinner together and watching our new fave show iZombie. How is this different from our usual weekend Tea Times? … Wut? We need a different sort of merrymaking? No one told us that! I think it’s, quite possibly, too late to change.  

OK, OK, I suppose I can give some of my blooming (burgeoning even) with age mushiness a more expansive outlet. I could, ya know, hit Fratelli's for a heart shaped CAKE or something. (yes, yez – given my continual weight loss efforts, I really DO need an excuse to hit the Church of Baked Goods).

Meanwhile, last night in Dream Land...
I was wandering through a house that was for sale. It was a BIG old Victorian – jam-packed with antique lamps, figurines, decorative boxes, antimacassar and throws. Ya know, like my house would be if I didn’t keep The Amazing Bob’s wise words in mind. “You bring something into this house, something’s got to go out.” Smart man – this is a wee cottage not some capacious castle.    

While I was inside the too full of gorgeous crap dream house, it shrunk down to condo size. Then it filled with ghosts – not scary, Amityville Horror style specters but NOT Casper either. These were spirits with stories to tell and I wanted to hear them. All of 'em.

The damn dream petered out right then though. Huh. How rude of my sleeping self!

What’s this nocturnal vignette mean? I imagine it’s just a meditation on all the organizing, culling and tossing I’m doing lately. No, I’m not selling my house OR getting rid of beloved antiques and other valuable-only-to-me bits but I AM changing, shifting and renewing the place. Ghosts – I'm surrounded by myriad ghosts and they all have tales to tell.

The next dream was about travel – interminable, frustrating travel. I was headed to New York, the city, taking the train. Time was tight and I wasn’t even sure where the station was located. Eventually, after climbing a few too many hills, I found it. The place was packed with weary as fuck, whey-faced travelers. Hey! Just like me! The ticket lines were insanely long and the depot was a labyrinthine, molto confusingly signposted mess. I had to get to Platform 85 (!!!) within 15 minutes – would I make the train?

//shrugs//  I woke up. Had to. The journey, with no end in sight, was just TOO much work and fret.

Neat trick being able to wake myself up from bad and/or boring dreams, eh? FYI, I liked the antiques and ghosts dream better.

Also too, Happy Hearts, Flowers, Hugs and CAKE Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment