Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Word Distraction

It's helpful, a good distraction from my ongoing health horrors to have a lot of design/layout work on my plate. There's a fine edge however between getting my bean refocused and being totally overwhelmed. When I'm abjectly swamped, I make otherwise avoidable errors. In my agitata to meet deadlines I take shortcuts which, inevitably, circle 'round to bite me in my large (yet shapely!) rear.

While it's way true that I'm NOT fretting and woe-is-me-ing, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in Dream Land and Wakey-Wake World trying to solve the assorted, very frustrating probs that my shortcuts have led to.

**SIGH!**

Here's a no fail, hitchless distractifier. Opening up the dictionary. I can get happily lost for hours.

Fer example:
Usageaster
noun
      a self-styled authority on language usage.

Interesting word that I’ve not seen before.

Usageaster is composed of usage and the -aster, which is a “diminutive or pejorative suffix denoting something that imperfectly resembles or mimics the true thing. (source)
An example of this would be an editor wanna-be who insists on “corrections” that aren’t about grammar but all about style.

This person is probably also a pedant.
Pedant
noun 
      a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

Convo with this sort should be dodged wherever possible (unless, of course, you’re desperately bored OR find human soporifics très amusing).

Controvert
verb (used with object)
      to argue about; debate; discuss

Use it in a sentence?
It shows a person’s monstro deep, fathomless dimwittedness to controvert the stone fact of 45’s obscene criminality

Spruik
verb (used without object) Australian Slang.
      to make or give a speech, especially extensively or elaborately; spiel; orate.

Sentence please!
Whenever Devin Nune’s spruiks he lines the campaign pockets of the challengers for his congressional seat (up for grabs next year).  

Turophobia
noun 
      an irrational or disproportionate fear of cheese.

OK when I first saw this particular lexeme I thought it was turdphobia and that made abundant sense to me. It could be used in regard to cleaning out Fluffy’s litter box or picking up after Fido's dumps. OR it’s all about the current resident of the WH, his renfields and fellow cretinous co-conspirators.Yeah, I’m lookin’ straight at ya Massacre Mitch, Dirty Devin and #TrashyStefanik!

I don't have a phobia about cleaning up after my little princess and I wouldn't say my fear of a world run by these stratospheric criminals was irrational. So, not a word for me.

OH! But the real term is Turophobia and it means a fear of cheese of all things. WHO could possibly have that, fer fuck's sake?! Cheese – from a tart Vermont cheddar to a brill and stinky blue cheese – is possible proof of god's existence

Sprachgefühl
noun [ German.
      a sensitivity to language, especially for what is grammatically or idiomatically acceptable in a given language.

It can honestly be said that I have NO bloody sprachgefühl whatsoever. I’m a linguistic hazard in any language. Sadly.

Foliaceous
adjective
bearing leaves or leaflike parts.

       Sounds like a skin disease, don't it.

There – I'm all calm now. Yea me!

No comments:

Post a Comment