Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2019

It's An Adventure

The biggest risk is not taking any risk. Surgery carries risk. NOT subjecting myself to Barker’s skillful scalpel work, on the other hand, courts an early, less than thrilling death. My choice? It's a big fat obvs DUH.
There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction.
 ~JFK
Also too, you can't win if you don't play.

Barker’s not been inside ma tĂȘte in 15 years. That was the surgery where my hearing went bye-bye (an inevitable, known outcome), where I lost half my sight for year, where I had to relearn how to walk without without a walker. Yeah, that one was indeed a motherfucker.

Nervous? Who…me the Queen of Jitters?
A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.
~ John A. Shedd 
My pal Felicity, a fellow Nf2er, had this same-ish surgery last year (same cutter too). She described the experience, compared to our acoustic neuroma adventures, as a drive-by. Hah, love that!  Can I get an order of fries to take away with that brain surgery?

Henri Matisse had abdominal cancer surgery in 1941 which totally banjaxed the whole standing at an easel/painting thing for him – forever. He didn't stop creating though. He entered his brill cut-outs phase.

NOT that I’m a some big time, famous painter with museums and buyers eagerly awaiting my next canvas BUT I do seem to have this addiction to the oils and acrylics. I paint for me. With my buggered up bean (goddamned giant eggplant of a tumor) I too have not been able to stand at the easel and my eye/hand coordination is totes MIA. What to do, what to do? Lay out large sheets of paper on the floor and explore my more abstract ideas. Go where my crazy, crabbed hands take me.

It’s an art adventure and shit.

Maybe by spring I’ll be back at the easel. Maybe not. We’ll see.

'scuse me – gotta go meet Fred now (AKA Son of God or Scion of Ojemann at any rate).

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me: when we have dinner next week, I'm totally gonna take advantage of your debilitated state to swipe one or two pieces of your aht to put on my office walls. People keep walking in here and admonishing me for their bare state. I'd love to give you a forum to be seen. I mean, I know Coco loves to go down into the basement to appreciate your work, but it deserves a somewhat larger audience.

    ReplyDelete