Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2020

Rise Above

Woke with Black Flag in my bean this morning.
We are tired of your abuse
Try to stop us, it's no use

We're born with a chance
Rise above, we're gonna rise above
I am gonna have my chance
Rise above! We're gonna rise above!
We're born with a chance
Rise above! We're gonna rise above!
And I am gonna have my chance
Rise above! We're gonna rise above!
Given the fucked up, bullied and beat to shit state of the country and humanity in general, I suppose this should come as no surprise. Being pushed, being harassed just pisses me clean off. The key to an effective defense against the heavily armed machine is calm, methodical action, like this brave woman.

Also too, FUCK YEAH we're gonna rise above!
~~~
In Distractionville, Jen, Oni and I are watching the teevee show Warrior Nun. Hells bells, with a title like that, how the holy fuck could I resist?

A 19 year old, orphaned, paraplegic girl wakes up from death on a slab in a Spanish morgue, attached to a middle ages era crypt. She finds that she now has full use of her limbs but, ya know, ‘the fuck’s up here? 

…she now possesses superpowers as the chosen Halo Bearer for a secret sect of demon-hunting nuns. (source)
Click on that link – watch the damn trailer. This show is, two eps in, awesome+! My only complaint? Priests. They’re nominally “in charge” and get too much screen time. Granted, to my mind – in a show named Warrior Nun, priests should be barely there – like sea salt on roasted Brussels sprouts.

Reading-wise, I’m nearing the close of the first book of Marissa Meyer’s Renegades, which I’ve def enjoyed.

What to read next? 


While at the grocery, I picked up a Stephanie Plum mystery. I was figuring on mindless fun but was quickly reminded of why I’d quit reading Evanovich before. While Plum is an endearingly spazoid character, her two sidekicks are thinly drawn, annoyingly incompetent doofuses whose value to the storyline is never illustrated. Every time they show up in a chapter, it reads like they’re holding huge signs that scream PLOT DEVICE.

Yep, just gonna skim through the rest of this sucker.

Since the Thomas Crane’s still shut AND I’m back to not going outside (besides my early AM walk), I’m gonna need to dive back into the land of online used books. Maybe I can track down the second installment of Meyer’s Renegade series or the next in A. Lee Martinez’s Constance Verity series? OR possibly I’ll just read The Sirens of Titan for the 50 billionth time.

What are you reading and watching now?

No comments:

Post a Comment